Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tuners in Ipswich area
ditchlewis

posted on 13/1/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Tuners in Ipswich area

As it says above does any one know of a good person able to tune and balance carbs and ignition in the Ipswich area?

i was playing with the mixtures yesterday and i have it running a little better but i'm only playing

i can see the cars potential, and when i ignored the running in advice and took it to 7K it realy flew. the back end stepped out and it was very quick.

i want to set it up properly and start to enjoy it properly

i took out the eldest and his mate (the lad is 19 and dad bought him a 230bhp RX8) he just loved the MK and thought it was awsome.

i'm just getting used to the car but it is marred by the coughing and spluttering. one bad back fire appears to have blown one of the carb socks to peices

i want to enjoy the car but i'm worried about destroying the engine

any ideas lads?????

ditch

David Jenkins

posted on 13/1/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
There's one up at Martlesham - can't remember the name or number, but Doug/garage19 will know it.

Not cheap though, if they're going to do much work - get a quote before you go, or at least find out the basic price + the hourly rate.

David

takumi

posted on 13/1/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.coltecracing.com/
I've had some work done here, very old skool. quality.

http://www.scholarengines.co.uk/

http://www.dunnellengines.com/

a friend has been to Dunnell, and highly reccomends them on quality, but pricey.

[Edited on 13-1-08 by takumi]

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

garage19

posted on 13/1/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
That was LPS.

They have since gone out of business. Not a bad thing, as apart from Steve, who left a year ago, none of them new a thing about tuning cars.

Ditch, I have a wideband and if you get stuck i could have a look at it one sat morn. I can probably sort the main fuelling jet and check the figures in your ignition map fairly easily but from then on i'm on a learning curve as i have never tuned sidedraughts - they're before my time

[Edited on 13/1/08 by garage19]

ditchlewis

posted on 13/1/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
many thanks lads

garage 19, thanks for the offer, i will let you know how i get on.

i know that the electroninc Dizzy was built for this engine (the whole engine was built by Vulcan engineering) and the onlt thing i have changed are the KN filters to PiperX socks so that they will fit into the chassis. other than that its the settings that i have played with.

i will have to make an air box at some stage but time and money are a problem at the moment and i have to prioritise.

Ditch

TOO BADD

posted on 13/1/08 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, just joined after reading posts for quite a while now. Interesting chat. try T&M in Colchester. Ray Charges me £ 100 plus vat for an afternoon on my highley modded XE Stuart Taylor and he is dogs cahoners for carbs. All performed on the rollers as well. he co drives a rally car and has been fiddling with this stuff for years.
David Jenkins

posted on 13/1/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
That's worth knowing... I wonder how he gets on with bike carbs...

garage19

posted on 13/1/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have also heard ray is good with sidedraught carbs.

David,

I've set a few sets of bike carbs up on cars now so if you get stuck.

ditchlewis

posted on 14/1/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
thanks too bad, i will give him a go.

i just have to be careful as i'm supposed to be running the engine in and i have a year garantee if i follow the instructions. sould not rev beyond 4K to 5K

ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.