Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyres
iiyama

posted on 13/1/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Tyres

Thinking about tyres and need some advise!

Dax recommend for 15" rims 205/50 on the front and 225/50 for the rear. R888's arnt made in soft in the size I need for the rear, so will fitting soft on the front and medium on the rear be a problem? Or should I fit mediums all round?

Alternatively, Kumho V70a's are made in soft in the sizes required.

Discuss!!!!

Ian

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

iiyama

posted on 13/1/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Thinking about tyres and need some advise!

Dax recommend for 15" rims 205/50 on the front and 225/50 for the rear. R888's arnt made in soft in the size I need for the rear, so will fitting soft on the front and medium on the rear be a problem? Or should I fit mediums all round?

Alternatively, Kumho V70a's are made in soft in the sizes required.

Discuss!!!!

Ian

Should add that its a 'busa powered car and will end up around the 475KG mark.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

mark chandler

posted on 13/1/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
My choice would be:

Yokohama, AO48 - R

205/50R15 86V - - Soft or Medium
225/50R15 91V - - - Medium only

Cracking tyres IMHO, rubbish in the wet though !

I would have soft on the front to ensure when you boot it on a bend the car is not pushed in a straight line (assuming you have an LSD)

iiyama

posted on 14/1/08 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Should of added that as well! Yup, Quaife ATB fitted!

Why Yokes over the other choices then?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Haven't i read on here somewhere that the soft R888's really are soft, and would wear out in no time flat in normal road use???

I have the standard medium compound myself and have bought 195/50/15's for the front and 205/50/15 for the rear (to use with a ZX10R engine).

iiyama

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Adding a lot after the original post, but I should also add this!!!!!

Tha car is mainly a trackday weapon with a view to racing, (although it remains to be seen if this will happen! Might enter a few of the westie sprint series though). Road mileage will be less the 2k a year I suspect, 3K max.

Coose

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
The soft R888s would be fine for sprints/hillclimbs, but would be too soft for track use. The stock compound would be fine!

Spin 'er off Well...

iiyama

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent.

Ill order up four mediums then unless there are any other views as to why I shouldnt!!

bobs bangers

posted on 14/1/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
What tyres would you put on a road going zx10r mnr inboard. I have spec'd r888 's for 15" wheels. I would only do the odd track day in it.

Regards

Bob

Paul TigerB6

posted on 14/1/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
If you are thinking of the Westie Speed series then maybe it would be worth looking at the Marangoni Zeta's. They are list 1b tyres whereas the R888's arent but supposedly have similar levels of grip. Have a look here maybe before ordering.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=79902&page=&contribmessage=none

iiyama

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Marangoni's arnt made in the sizes I require....

Coose

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Good point about list 1B. Are Yoky 21s on there? They grip well, but being road legal wets they suffer with a bit of block movement (i.e. the car feels as though it's moving around when it isn't) and they can overheat. Good for sprinting though!

Spin 'er off Well...

Paul TigerB6

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Marangoni's arnt made in the sizes I require....

Could you not fit 205/50/15's allround (or maybe even 195's on the front). Although the 225's are recommended by Dax, pretty much every other se7en manufacturer goes with narrower - typically 185's to 205's.

[Edited on 14/1/08 by Paul TigerB6]

iiyama

posted on 14/1/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Rims are ordered, 6.5" front, 7" rear. Not sure that 185's will fit on 6.5" rims??

Also I have the camber compensation, (something else I should have mentioned in the original post!!!!), so not sure if this system will get heat into the tyres more quickly and there fore overheat narrower tyres. Or indeed vice versa!!!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 14/1/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Was just looking on the Toyo website. Maybe this will have some bearing on your choice and was one i certainly wasnt aware of!! Kinda discounts the Marangoni's doesnt it!!

Toyo link

Westie Speed Series

tyres link

[Edited on 14/1/08 by Paul TigerB6]

JimSpencer

posted on 15/1/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The Westie Sprint series doesn't really accomodate non westfields - there is an 'invitation' class but it's a lot of hassle for a couple of events.

I would check out the local sprint scene via the MSA regional association (ACSMC - www.acsmc.org.uk - for Southampton area)

You'll find they run a regional championship, register for that and you'll be able to pick events to do in your neck of the woods.

Re Tyres
First confirm what class your car fits in locally (it varies a bit round the country for clubman events)

Road going 'Sevens' and the like are normally split into up to and over 1700cc - but sometimes specifically exclude BEC's into either:-
Road going BEC's
or
Sports Libre

If they don't exclude BEC's or have a road going class for BEC's - you'll probably need MSA 1A listed tyres - i.e. Toyo T1R's
(But do check as some regions now allow 1B's in road going too..)

If you end up in Sports Libre run 1B's (ie. the 888's) or you could run slicks.

It's a touch messey re classes and tyres to start with but well worth finding out about as speed events are really what our cars are all about

Hope this helps

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.