Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear suspension
bobster

posted on 14/1/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
rear suspension

I know that this topic has been covered in other threads but I just wanted to double check everything.

Following my conversion from live axle to de dion, i'm now looking for new coil overs for the rears.

Front setup is cortina based with spax coil overs.

1) What spring rates are you guys using at the back? I will be using my dax for a combination of fast road use and track days (plus an endurance race if i can get the thing organised!!!). Need the best compromise.

2) I am looking at using protech dampers - any feedback?

3) They have asked my what bump/rebound ratio i want. I understand theoretically what this means but what ratio is right for our cars? From the research i am leaning towards 2:1. any thoughts?

4) at ride height the distance between the mounting holes is 10". what length damper should I go for?

any help would be great.

many thanks as always

chris

NS Dev

posted on 15/1/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
What does the car weigh and what is the weight distribution?

I use 140lb/inch springs on my 7 which weighs 550kg and is biased roughly 50-50 front rear.

Dampers-wise, ask "procomp" on here, he knows more about protech shocks than most and will advise on rate ratio. In terms of quality, I have no issue with them, they are certainly at the "good end" of the cheap damper market, better than most.

(and certainly better than the std spax offering! )

Damper length depends a lot on what things can hit at full bump and full droop.

Jack it up to where you want full bump to be, and spec the closed length of your damper a bit longer than that, then set it at where you think you want full droop to be and spec the extended length a bit shorter than that, then get the nearest to that. You should end up with at least 2 inches either way or you will be compromising handling.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

bobster

posted on 15/1/08 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
car weight is around 650kg - approx 50-50 wt distribution.
Thanks for the advice regards damper length.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.