Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cat D - what percentage should this affect a cars value?
carpmart

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Cat D - what percentage should this affect a cars value?

Chaps

As per the subject really, with a Cat D write off and assuming the repairs have been completed to a high standard, how much 'discount' should I expect off the car compared to a never damaged car. Anyone any experience of selling on a Cat D car? Logic makes me think it will be a lot harder.

Thanks

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

donut

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
30% less than forecourt so i believe once fixed.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on the type of car and the 'story' that goes with it...
r1_pete

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Depends how common the model is, if there are plenty available a cat D is little more than scrap value. My daughter sold her 2 year old un-repaired Cat D Saxo for £750, the insurance company let her keep it because it wasn't worth them selling it on in the trade.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
onzarob

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
30% less than forecourt so i believe once fixed.

I think thats a fair estimate, I'm just in the throws of repairing a CAT D and in the calculation I factored a selling price of 25% less. So there is still a profit for me

I do think though each cas is value is determined by the reason for being written off.

carpmart

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting replies - thanks!

Let me add a bit more information.

The car is a Pug 206 1.1 LX. X reg 2001, 51k miles. It has some tasteful modifications which is what appeals most to my daughter who is the purchaser. The car looks pretty tidy but I will have a good inspect of this now that I know its been written off. The seller wants £2.6k and before I checked at realised it was Cat D he was prepared to accept £2.4k. My thinking now is that this needs to be a good deal circa £1.8k to make it worthwhile. Is this fair or am I being too harsh with my valuation?

Thanks!

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

bobs bangers

posted on 18/1/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
The trade normally values cars that are "on the register" as half trade book ! The glass's guide is the most common reference point or cap. Do not use any guides such as parkers as they are wildly innacurate and certainly DO NOT reflect current market.

For your info

The Glass's guide Jan 08 values a STRAIGHT 01X 206 1.1 LX 3 DR with Air con at @£1750 trade @ 66 000 miles. I wouldn't add value for 10k less miles at this age. I would however deduct £200 for no Air con. A 5 Door is no more or less desirable than a 3dr. In fact it's probably less desirable...especially for the younger market.

The retail price however is £2700. I think that you would more likely see cars at £2500. Despite this you would still be looking at giving even less than £1800. Many cat c/d repairs have been done well. Some however have not ! It is very easy to see a few hundred pounds saved but I would be very cautious about letting any of my loved ones drive a "damaged repairable" . I have access to a salvage disposal site and see some absolute bargains on there . Especially with the floods last year. As always some require very little and possibly shouldn't or didn't need to be written off. I hope the information is of use if you require more specific help then you can u2u me.

Regards
Bob

McLannahan

posted on 18/1/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart

The car is a Pug 206 1.1 LX. X reg 2001, 51k miles. It has some tasteful modifications which is what appeals most to my daughter who is the purchaser. The car looks pretty tidy but I will have a good inspect of this now that I know its been written off. The seller wants £2.6k and before I checked at realised it was Cat D he was prepared to accept £2.4k. My thinking now is that this needs to be a good deal circa £1.8k to make it worthwhile. Is this fair or am I being too harsh with my valuation?

Thanks!

A friend at work has just bought this exact car with mods too for her daughter!

She paid 1400 for it but it will need a clutch soon. I thought that was a fair price to be honest. IT's fairly tidy but not close up - mods have not been well done at all.

Biggest issue though is insurance. Mum's policy won't touch daughter (she's 17) on it as she's declared all the mods. She's had ridiculous quotes and is now considering putting it back to standard!

I think you should be pushing for 1800 tops! Depends on how much she REALLY wants this one, there's plenty around!

britishtrident

posted on 18/1/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart

Thanks!

Asking price is about 5 times what it would fetch at auction !
NB any mods reduce the value.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

r1_pete

posted on 18/1/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd pass on this one, there are plenty of 206's on the market to get a clean straight one for under £2k.

British Trident is right, it wouldn't make £500 at the block.

Rgds.
Pete.

MikeR

posted on 18/1/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobs bangers
The trade normally values cars that are "on the register" as half trade book ! The glass's guide is the most common reference point or cap. Do not use any guides such as parkers as they are wildly innacurate and certainly DO NOT reflect current market.

Regards
Bob

Interesting point of view. Cousin used to be chief mechanic at ADT in machester (10 years ago). His view was parkers was very accurate, glasses was out. Parkers looked what the market was actually selling cars at, glasses took auction prices and just added a fixed % on. I always worked to this and when i've looked parkers ususally seems to quote a lower price than Glasses & i've been happy when i've haggled down to parkers price.

Is this a general gut feel or can you back your view up (i'm just about to change my car so its of great interest to me).

scootz

posted on 18/1/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
The trade uses Glass, so if you're looking to deal with a trader, then that's the one to use.

I'd be concerned about dealing with any trader who is happy to use the Parkers prices as they will have no doubt added on a wedge to their car!

Tiger Super Six

posted on 18/1/08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Also, if your daughter is young you might get problems insuring it.

Mark.

Mark

Tiger Avon

bobs bangers

posted on 18/1/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Glass's Guide is TRADE ONLY as is CAP . Parkers is produced in volume and sold in newsagents. As for how do I back it up I buy and sell in excess of 250 cars a year ranging from £1000 to £100 000. I use Glass's Guide. Lets not forget that I would pay "into" more than book for an audi a4 tdi yet I would pay "behind" less than book for a 3 series diesel. Why ?? Market forces and glass's despite being the industry leader still cannot keep abreast of regional or dealer preferences. One mans wine and all that !

As in this case if you want some free advice when the time comes I would always be happy to steer you in the right direction. Please don't forget that after march I will be trying to assemble my MNR !!!

I think it has become apparent that the general feeling is that the car in question doesn't represent value for money.

Regards

Bob

bobs bangers

posted on 18/1/08 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Scootz

You have hit the nail on the head !!

If I could get parkers price for some of my used cars I'd be writing this from the beach in Barbados !!

Mike

I think that fact that any car dealership in the country will / should have a current month Glass's Guide indicates how seriously it's information is regarded. It must always be said that it is only a guide !!! Let me know if ever you require any help.

Regards

Bob

carpmart

posted on 18/1/08 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobs bangers
Scootz

You have hit the nail on the head !!

If I could get parkers price for some of my used cars I'd be writing this from the beach in Barbados !!

Mike

I think that fact that any car dealership in the country will / should have a current month Glass's Guide indicates how seriously it's information is regarded. It must always be said that it is only a guide !!! Let me know if ever you require any help.

Regards

Bob

Thanks for your input to this thread - I have sent you a U2U with a quick question -

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

froggy

posted on 18/1/08 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
i bought my daughter a "t"plate micra with 5k on the clock and some superficial front end damage from a salvage yard for £300 ,its cost me £400 to get it right and it would retail for around 1700 without being on the register. cat d can be a good buy if you do the repairs but buying a repaired one is a risk unless you know what the damage was to begin with
Simon

posted on 18/1/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Friends daughter got involved in fairly severe dingdong last year and said friend asked the supplying (Ford) dealer how it would affect resale value of car if repaired.

Dealer said it wouldn't, it would still be worth book price.

As it happens car got written off, so she got a new one.

ATB

Simon

TPG

posted on 18/1/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have done and sold various Cat D cars.Sold them as Cat D cars.Mostly,as pointed out,high value cars.You can buy common stuff at auction alot cheaper than the 206 you've been looking at.
When I sell a repaired car.It goes with before and after Photos.I would ask for these if buying a repaired Cat d.Autotrader also gives a good guide at what to expect to pay for a car,enter the model and instant comparisions Uk wide.As some one on here I think,once said.A car will be Cat D if the insurance companys prefered 'shop is busy and can't do it for a month or so.Its easier and cheaper for them to get rid.Currently,salvage prices have been going daft.The insurance co's never miss a trick,and so there is alot of choice out there.

..Which was nice..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.