Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blackbird to R1 swap??
itiejim

posted on 27/1/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Blackbird to R1 swap??

Hi folks, I've recently bought a Blackbird engined Fury.

Looking at the oiling issues, plus a couple of things I'm unhappy about with the car (in particular the wiring) I was wondering how easy it is to swap to an R1 engine?

I could probably buy an engine for less that the price of dry-sumping the bird lump, plus if I want to rewire what's in there anyway... I just wondered whether I'm just as well to move on?

Any mounting issues etc?

Aico

posted on 27/1/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
A drysump would be cheaper than an engineswap. Around 1200 Pounds vs 2500 Pounds.

[Edited on 27/1/08 by Aico]

tomblyth

posted on 27/1/08 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Fit an accusump a mate has had one on his blackbird engined tiger avon for over a year with no problems! cheaper than R1 moter or dry sump kit , and the blackbird motors brilliant!

http://www.accusump.com/

itiejim

posted on 27/1/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, cheers for the replies. I've actually already got an accusump on there, though they have their limitations.

My main reasoning behind the swap was just that I could buy a complete late R1 kit for about £1500 and resolve my wiring and (potential) oiling issues, plus have an extra few BHP (though less torque) and save about 30 kg at the same time.

I guess I'd need a new engine cradle, and possibly a prop shaft, but with what I could get back for my 'bird engine it might not cost me too much...

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/1/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Having done a blade to R1 conversion, Id suggest adding about £1200 on top of the engine price (ie ~£2500-2700) to give you a reasonable idea of the costs, minus what you can sell the old stuff for

One thing you havent mentioned is manifold, which is going to be ~£4-500 straight away. If your 'bird is an older carb engine, you'll also need new fuel tank, fuel pump and an additional return fuel line up the tunnel.

The other thing is you're slightly compromised by the fact that the 'bird isn't espeically popular any more, so the resale value of the bits you take out probably won't be all that good.

cheers
Chris

[Edited on 27/1/08 by ChrisGamlin]

jimgiblett

posted on 28/1/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you are interested I'm selling my new Fury R1 manifold (It will fit the 2003 or earlier motor not sure about the later ones). Looking for offers around £300.

- Jim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.