Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring loom
Mark G

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring loom

I spent this weekend stipping my Sierra donor for all of its parts, Next weekend I was planning on removing the tank sender and the loom.

Question is this, Is it worth taking the loom out of the sierra as all of the plugs that I'll be using are going to be different. I'm not using the sierra lights, dash or engine.

Would I be better off just buying a couple of reels of wire and making one myself to fit the car?

Your adivce and personal experiences are appreciated.

Thanks
Mark.

speedyxjs

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Im making my own because i thought that the time spent removing and stripping the loom wasnt worth it

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

cryoman1965

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I brought a custom made loom for a sierra donored kitcar. £100 Money well psent.

Nige

Stuart_B

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I stripped all my out of the sierra and now i have brought a new loom as there is so many wires, as well it was under £100

Stuart

zxrlocost

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
hi if your fitting a bike engine just extend the bike loom

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

blakep82

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
i'm going to do mine from scratch when i start, but then i do know someone who builds car looms, and he said he'd like to help me

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mark G

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
cool, thanks all. Sounds like I'll build it my self then and just cut the connectors that I do need.

I don't have the loom yet for the bike so can't extend that but I guess I'll need to get one soon. Better start looking harder...

Thanks again.

jollygreengiant

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
For what its worth, I used the complete loom from my Granada donor (including the fuse box).
Yes a lot of the cabling was too long (as well as a lot of it was superfluous), but once in and fitted I think the total cost was about £10 for terminals and heat shrink.

IF you are going to use the donor loom, get it ALL out in one piece and then start by connecting to it (temporarily) the things that you WILL have to connect to it, then start removing unused wires.

Hope this helps.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.