Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC help and advice needed
ragindave

posted on 28/1/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
BEC help and advice needed

Thanks for any advice given.

I am going to fit a bike engine to a Tiger cat.
I have decided to go down the carburettor route as this does appear to be a little bit less in the way of cost and setting up.

Could anyone tell me please of the following 3 models what year did they stop manufacturing these bike with carbs and start the fuel injection models
Fireblade
ZX9R
Yamaha R1

Do I need a new modified sump or can you get away with a baffle plate for the following.
Fireblade
ZX9R
Yamaha R1

Do I need a new clutch or can you get away with up rating the springs for the following.
Fireblade
ZX9R
Yamaha R1

Which one is the strongest when fitted to a BEC?

Any ones in particular to avoid?

Will rejetting of the carbs be required?

Thanks Dave.

fesycresy

posted on 28/1/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Can only help on the R1.

Carbs up to 2001, baffled sump is fine and double up on the spring in the clutch.

Out of the three I'd go R1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

matt.c

posted on 28/1/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9

1. Unsure of the age thingy
2.You can baffle it if you have enough clearance. I havent so it will be a new sump for mine.
3. Just springs but time will tell with mine.

The zx9 is not the quickest out of all of them but have a look at Wadders drag times. They may suprise you!

[Edited on 28/1/08 by matt.c]

Avoneer

posted on 28/1/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure it will be fine, but I was under the impression that the Cat was a tad on the lardy arse weight and not the ideal cradle for a BEC due it using the whole Sierra rear end.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 28/1/08 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Oh - Blade with modded sump & baffle plate, although I think they are fine with the standard sump.

Better clutch springs.

That's what I had and it was fine.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 28/1/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Three replies all picking three different engines

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

ZEN

posted on 28/1/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade's switched to injection in 2000 with the 929. At least that is what is stated in the Haynes Fireblade '00 - '03. manual

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

mark.s

posted on 28/1/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Avoneer beat me to it...i think the cat is a bit on the heavy side for a BEC. Is the cat the one with the whole back end of a sierra bolted upto the back end ?.....But if you do do it you wont go far wrong with a blade, zx9, R1 ect
onzarob

posted on 28/1/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.s
Avoneer beat me to it...i think the cat is a bit on the heavy side for a BEC. Is the cat the one with the whole back end of a sierra bolted upto the back end

Yes it is

Tiger Butt
Tiger Butt

tjoh84

posted on 28/1/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
have a chat with zxrlocost you prob find as well he could do conversion for your about the same cost you would get parts for see this thread click me
zxrlocost

posted on 28/1/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
hi R1 carb engine no doubt about it Ive experienced most and my order goes ZX12r, R1 Carb R1 FI

its up there with the best due to its power vs simplicity

plus yes the car is heavier but no heavier than all the BEC mini driving about

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Coose

posted on 28/1/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Fit a sump baffle plate in a carb'd R1 and off you go. My stock clutch did 7000 miles of hard road and trackdays and I'm assuming it's still going strong! (the car is now sold....)

Spin 'er off Well...

mark chandler

posted on 28/1/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
893 blade

Make your own baffle, easy, old enough to not require emmisons, good power to weight.
Cheap

Once SVA'd sell on and stick in a late engine if you feel its slow or bung on a turbo.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/1/08 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
I'm sure it will be fine, but I was under the impression that the Cat was a tad on the lardy arse weight and not the ideal cradle for a BEC due it using the whole Sierra rear end.

Pat...

I can confirm the rear end of the cat weighs an absolute ton!! I used two trolley jacks to get it all in place eventually on the Supercat i am building at the moment.

Seriously consider if this is the best option for you. I would imagine a BEC Tiger Cat would be pretty close to the 600kg mark rather than under 500kg. Chester Sportscars have built a ZX12R Supercat (pics on the website) but the extra torque and power of that engine will help make up for the extra weight.

ragindave

posted on 29/1/08 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice I had not considered the extra weight of the Tiger cat and it may well be an issue.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.