Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laser Eye Surgery - star vision?
r1_pete

posted on 30/1/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Laser Eye Surgery - star vision?

I know it was discussed a week or two back, but I'm about to go for it, but have one reservation.

I've heard there can be a problem with 'star vision' when driving at night, a bit like drriving with a wet screen, has anyone suffered from it? and is it permanent?

Cheers.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 30/1/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
When I had mine done I went for the surgery that reduces the possibility of starring.

I'm glad I did because I suffer from it a bit but you do get used to it. My night vision isn't fantastic, I find that oncoming cars do cause me to lose my night vision if their lights are either very bright or badly adjusted.

A small price to pay though

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
R1 STRIKER

posted on 30/1/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete,

Think it's different for everyone but you can get a bit of glare at night. As you know, I had laser correction on friday. Was cleared to drive on sat! I do get a bit of glare at night but seems to be getting less all the time. Really pleased with the results.

Ben

liamb

posted on 30/1/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, I agree with the above. Day vision is great, night vision not so much but OK. I also can not see well in near dark (walking around the house at night etc) but that might just be me.

To be fair, I also had this problem (to a lesser degree) before the sugery.

I would still go for it.

Liam

jimgiblett

posted on 30/1/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Mine are fine day and night. I too was worried about starring but not had any problems. Everyone's different though.

- Jim

ChrisW

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Meant to put this in the last thread, but never got around to it.....

I was on the verge of getting the surgery done. My only worry was long term effects. I was 'only' 25, and had a niggling worry about what might happen in another 50 years, assuming I'm still around. There can't have been that much long term testing going on - the procedure hasn't been around that long!

Family talked me into having 'one last go' with contacts. I'd tried monthlies and weeklies before but hadn't got on with them. I get quite bad hayfever, so I guess my eyes are sensitive.

Anyway, I went for Focus daily disposables, and got on with them great. Had a couple of problems of loosing them under eyelids, usually occuring due to being pissed and trying to take them out, but otherwise I'm very happy. They are something like 80% water if I understand correctly - just like a bit of jelly. Getting them in and out takes a little practice, but after a week I could do it first attempt, and after a month I could take them in and out without even thinking about it.

They're expensive - nearly £30/month on the subscription - but now the law has changed you can buy them cheaper in bulk from Costco or over the Internet if you can be bothered. I'm very pleased though, and havn't considered the surgery option again since - that was 2 years ago nearly!

Just my 2p's worth!

Chris

[Edited on 1/30/2008 by ChrisW]

DarrenW

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
The thing i found was that before the laser i didnt give sight a second thought apart from wanting rid of glasses. After the op you are so much more aware of what is happening. For me the slight downsides of having laser are far outweighed by the the grief of glasses (seeing the frame, mucky lens' etc). I had a bit of starring immediately after but never notice it now. As said low light vision is sometimes not great but then again it was probs worse before, and of course later in the day or after driving in air conditioned car you will be more tired and dry eyed.

Its really difficult to make a fair before and after comparison as you expect so much from spending the cash.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Don’t you get lots of funny reflections with glasses anyway?

I don't see any reason to expect your night vision to be affected as it's not like your getting tinted eyeballs

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

novacaine

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
getting tinted eyeballs

Quick, patent that idea, you could sell it to the nova/corsa/saxo/106 drivers

[Edited on 30/1/08 by novacaine]

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

MikeRJ

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Anyway, I went for Focus daily disposables, and got on with them great. Had a couple of problems of loosing them under eyelids, usually occuring due to being pissed and trying to take them out, but otherwise I'm very happy.

That is exactly the same story as I would have written, including hay fever etc. Been using dailys from Boots for 10 years or so, and far prefer them to specs. Like many people I couldn't stand the thought of putting something in my eye, but you get used to it very quickly. Like you I have also pushed a few up the side of my eye, usually caused by rubbing my eyes if they are itchy and forgetting the contacts are in! They come out fairly easily though. The other problem with the lowered powered lenses is that it can be tricky to tell if they are inside out when you put them on your finger, you only find out after you stick them in your eye and they don't feel quite right.

I was pleasantly surprised at my last (and rather overdue!) eye test though, my vision had improved from L-1.75, R-2.25 to L-1.25, R-2.00 much to the surprise of the person testing me, so I had my eyes tested again by a second person just to confirm it.

Have considered surgery several times now it's more affordable, but the possibility of something going wrong and the potential effects on my sight in the future have made me stick with the contacts.

Moorron

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been wearing contacts for 15 years (i was 15 when i first got them) and only in the last year have i had trouble with them. they just wont sit right on my eye, i was banned from using them for a month (that was hard) and got the all clear again a few months ago but just cant wait to get home to take them out.

So i have been considering laser. a mate and his wife had it done (alltho 45 years old) but he spent 3K where his wife had the cheaper option at 1.2K.

He said it was the best thing he ever did but did suffer from poor low light vision. But his wife had an infection and had to go back (he things they just did it wrong). I need to go and speak to him about it and see what other problems there are. The money isnt the problem as im paying £400 a year with my contacts, but its the traveling to and from the place as its a fair distance from me and a pain to get her to drive me.

My eyesight is L -5.75 and R-4.25 but i do have astigma in one eye.

[Edited on 30/1/08 by Moorron]

[Edited on 30/1/08 by Moorron]

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking of having my eyes done for some time now, just read of a newer system where there's less cutting done but i've yet to hear about any complete failures or even coming out worse off, does anyone know of someone who's had real bad experience, to be honest i'm scared.
iank

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novacaine
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
getting tinted eyeballs

Quick, patent that idea, you could sell it to the nova/corsa/saxo/106 drivers

[Edited on 30/1/08 by novacaine]

Its been done
http://www.neatorama.com/2007/07/06/eyeball-tattoo/

Laser eye surgery is really quite safe, but the impact of it going wrong is very very bad. I've seen advise of getting one done and the other a month later to mitigate the risk.

The best place to get it done, apparently, is at Moorefields eye hospital since their surgeons are the ones that have to try to sort out the rare ops that go wrong. Not cheap apparently, but the best surgeons.
http://www.moorfields-private.co.uk/Home

Quite happy with glasses myself, but each to their own. My eyes aren't too bad anyway (one is +0.5, the other -0.5) so I can drive legally without glasses.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

speedyxjs

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Meant to put this in the last thread, but never got around to it.....

I was on the verge of getting the surgery done. My only worry was long term effects. I was 'only' 25, and had a niggling worry about what might happen in another 50 years, assuming I'm still around. There can't have been that much long term testing going on - the procedure hasn't been around that long!
[Edited on 1/30/2008 by ChrisW]

This is my excuse Anyway i look better with glasses than without

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Peteff

posted on 30/1/08 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to wait till mine pack up altogether and then get a set of monkey eyes fitted, you never see them wearing glasses or struggling to read the small print.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

R1 STRIKER

posted on 30/1/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Think everyone is different. Couldn't be happier with mine. Slightly different for me in that I couldn't pass the medical to retain my taxi badge with out doing it. We have to reach a certain standard with and without glasses or lenses. I am also racing in the caterham academy this year so no glasses is just one less thing to worry about, got more than enough already!!

Would certainly reccomend the midland eye institute in solihull

Ben.

ernie

posted on 30/1/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had mine done in 2001 at age of 53. Night time vision is OK but i need glasses just to sharpen the image. Would recommended surgery to anybody between 26 -45 years old. my daughter had surgery in 2000 so she could join the Bill, had to wait for 12months before they would accept her under health and safety rules. and she hasn't looked back since ha ha
Jasper

posted on 31/1/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Had mine done last summer - was wearing glasses for years as my eyes were intolerance to contacts (I could wear them for 6 hours but no more - after years of wearing them...)

Day vision is perfect, better than 20:20. Low light levels are not so great but acceptable, they told me this winter would be the worst of it, and by next winter things would be better again. I don't even mind if I end up wearing glasses for driving at night, I do so little of it.

I hated wearing glasses, and have wanted this done for years and am really pleased with it. The low light times are still worth it too, so great just to have 'normal eyes'......

I paid around £2k with optimax here in Brighton to have the middle price treatment, I didn't have 'Wavefront' as they said it would not make a great deal of difference with my eyes.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

NigeEss

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
With me the star effect lasted a couple of months. Totally gone now and
my night vision is fine.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
The best place to get it done, apparently, is at Moorefields eye hospital since their surgeons are the ones that have to try to sort out the rare ops that go wrong. Not cheap apparently, but the best surgeons.

That's where they teach eye surgery - it is supposed to be the very best place in the UK for any eye work. You do pay for the privilege though - somewhere around £1500 per eye for corrective surgery. I suppose that you only get what you pay for...

In the dim and distant past I used to work near there. If you were prepared to make 3 visits and let trainee optometrists (sp?) check you eyes, then you could get a top-rate pair of specs for next to nothing - cost of materials only. Best pair of specs I've ever had, as once the trainees have finished, the tutor steps in and does the whole test again to check the student's work... shame I live and work too far away to go again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.