Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: why do you want to build a car?
novacaine

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
why do you want to build a car?

I was having a discussion with a guy at work and he is planning on building a locost from scratch but it didnt seem like he acctually "wanted" to build one, more like he wants a 7 but cant afford a fully built one....

Im the opposite, i want to build a car for the satisfaction of building

This got me thinking, why do people want to build cars?

So here is the poll, Why do you build/want to build a car?

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

TimC

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Clicked the bottom one as I'm never doing it again. I'll just have to earn enough for someone to do it for me...

:s

bassett

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
For me its going to be knowing that i built that car. Being great fast cars to drive but with the mass availability of 7 kits and ability to do them from scratch or just assembling a few parts any one can and should do it.
dhutch

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I ticked the first.

As far as i can see, its far more cost/time affective to buy a second hand built kit than to actually build it yourself.
- Anyone ive ever spoke to has said "they hold there value really well in terms of cost of parts, but you have to forget about the hours you put into it" or else just "its much cheaper to buy a finshed/nearfinshed second car, but you have to put up with bits being done badly/diffently"

My rough game now is spend what i can on a second hand seven at some point the future. Say £4-5k ish. And then take it from there.
- If i bite the bug i may well consider building my own, having learnt a lot more about what you can do, and what i want.
- Or otherwise hopefully its alteast been a fun experince, and ive bougth a car i can sell on without loosing to much.

Alternativly i could buy an Mx5?

Dont know. I voted for option one.

Daniel

[Edited on 30/1/08 by dhutch]

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
no idea, shear stupidity

better than watching the telly

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 30/1/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
it's both of the first two for me
If I could afford a nice Caterham, I'd buy it like a shot but I'd still build a car as well

Jon

Gergely

posted on 30/1/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
For me its the top three.
- I want to build one myself
- No fully built car will outperform a kit for the same price (workhours not counted)
- I want to have it built as I want it.

But I voted No1.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 30/1/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gergely
For me its the top three.
- I want to build one myself
- No fully built car will outperform a kit for the same price (workhours not counted)
- I want to have it built as I want it.

But I voted No1.

Ditto!

Ivan

posted on 30/1/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ticked the top one but for me it's a combination of all of them except for the part about annoying the people I live with - my wife doesn't mind at all (especialy as when I'm building a car I can't build an offshore yacht. )

I guess I do it because fast cars are what rev my engine and I can't afford to buy or maintain a Porsche, Lambo or Ferrari.

Lets just call it an expensive hobby.

StevieB

posted on 30/1/08 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I ultimatey want a Caterham but couldn't afford one at the time I started the Indy.

By now I am in a position to afford a Caterham, but I have the Indy to finish first.

It'll be finished by April, so I'll keep it for a ear and maybe get a Caterham next Spring. Since teh're far easier to build, I might have a building party where me and a choice few will maybe try and complete it in a day (top gear style, only mnore competent and less arguents!).

Puk

posted on 30/1/08 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
For me it is to be able to get it exactly how Id like it - choose all the bits and fiddle with it to get it just so. Ask me again when I've built it though - might be a good deal less starry eyed!

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

wilkingj

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Built two land rovers from scratch / bare chassis's in the last 15 years.

Thought it would be nice to do something else, and always wanted a V8 Sportscar (just cos of the V8 Burble)

I could have bought one cheaper! but not as much fun as building it youself.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

vindicator

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Number one for me.

I started May2006 after finally putting down a deposit for the frame. I told a mate of mine what I had done and his reply was .....remember 28 years ago when we both went somewhere down Heathrow way to look at a kit car company.....I didn't do anything then, but first came the wife and then the kids and no money. But now, with some money and kids grown up it is finished and on the road and I am (with SHMBO) enjoying every moment with it.

Hellfire

posted on 30/1/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
None of the above really. I'd always dreamt about owning a supercar but when I realised that a mate of mine was manufacturing kitcars which provided similar performance through the use of a bike engine, I just had to have one.

Having built it, I'm glad that I did and get a lot of satisfaction from knowing that what I've helped build, will outperform just about any car you put it next to, including the supercars I dreamed about when I was a kid.

Phil

MikeR

posted on 30/1/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
ticked the last one - it worked, she left
caber

posted on 30/1/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
i liked the idea of Ron's book and I always fancied owning a 7 so i thought this would be a good way to achieve the later while learning a whole bunch of new skills and knowledge. It has worked!

Caber

Confused but excited.

posted on 30/1/08 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm retired and wanted to do something new to keep the grey matter from turning to porridge.
When I started I new nothing about cars whatsoever, but saw Ron's book and that smug schoolboy (You know the one. The nicest car in the book, red with a Westie SEi nose cone and Wolfrace slots. In fairness, for a seventeen year old, he has a lot to be smug about) and thought if he can, I can and building a car from scratch seemed a like good way to learn about cars.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

KevDo

posted on 30/1/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
well i love Honda engines for some reason but the only problem with Honda unless you buy an NSX or S2k is that they're all FWD.. which isn't bad, as the Integra Type-R was regarded as one of the best handling FWD cars available.

For me, it's being able to have a RWD Honda powered lightweight car which should be MEGA fun not only to drive but also to build.

I just can't imagine how good it must feel to finally get a car that you built yourself on the road!!! and every day after that being able to drive it! .. who wouldn't want to do it?

roadrunner

posted on 30/1/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
The top two for me and for the shear driving rush.

jrevillug

posted on 31/1/08 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
The top two- I've always wanted to build a car, and still do. Also, I see this as a road that will see me building a GT40 Replica at some point. When it comes to the GT40, it's mainly the second one.

But I haven't started yet.

I voted the first one.

RK

posted on 31/1/08 at 03:30 AM Reply With Quote
F**k if I know. Not very smart, I guess. Should have studied harder in arithmetic.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 1/2/08 at 03:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
no idea, shear stupidity

better than watching the telly

I Checked the bottom one, but you`re spot on....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Simon

posted on 1/2/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I ticked the last one, but think it only really applies since I decided to start adding/modifying.

I suppose when it came to why did I build from scratch in the first place, the first three could all have applied.

Would I do it again?

Definately. Thinking about it now

ATB

Simon

bob

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mrs bob hates it, calls her "joan collins the bitch " so i ticked the last box, always thought i would only ever change brake pads and spark plugs at most on any car i owned so its very satisfying when i sit in and start up.

Although before the net and this place i must admit it would never have happened, i would be down the pub probably.

Met some great new friends along the way though up and down the country as well as abroad

Dale

posted on 4/2/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Check to have exactly what I wanted--If I could figure that out it would be done by now--
Always wanted the poor mans porsche - the 914 and saw one and my wife said go ahead and get it if you want. _ It was a major rebuild required-
Went climbed in and my feet were jammed up against each other so I could never drive it. Within 6 months of that I had my car laid out and the steel purchased. I think that was 4 years ago and got around another one or so to go.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.