Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are Tyraps enough for SVA to mount my loom to the chassis ?
marcotuinenburg

posted on 31/1/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Are Tyraps enough for SVA to mount my loom to the chassis ?

Hi,

I have done spiralwrap all around the loom now and am thinking how to hold it to the chassis.
Is it SVA proof to use plastic tyrips or do i need to fasten the complete loom in the same way as the fuellines and brakelines are mounted ?

Thanks, Marco

bigrich

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
tie wraps are fine for SVA but i would use them with the small plastic screw down saddle mounts instead of just aound the chassis

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

David Jenkins

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Most of my loom is fixed with tie-wraps, usually to those stick-on pads designed to attach to flat surfaces. The only thing they require is a pop-rivet or screw into the surface to ensure that they don't come unstuck (most have a hole for that purpose).

You will require some form of covering for the loom - I used spiral wrap, but that's a pain. If I was doing it again I'd use split convoluted tubing.

HTH,
David

stevec

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the cable bases.
Edited to say that I also riveted them on.

linky

Steve

[Edited on 31/1/08 by stevec]

nitram38

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I secured my entire loom (spiral wrapped) with cable ties directly to the chassis.
No problems passing.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I nearly failed my SVA because the inspector was concerned about those stick-on pads - fortunately I was able to show him that almost all of them were pop-riveted securely. Some weren't but I was able to satisfy him by tie-wrapping that part of the loom direct to the chassis.

dhutch

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, the sticky back on the bases is shocking. Lasts hours not years.
- However i wouldnt expect them to have an issue with tiewraps themselfs, or bases attaced by other ways.
- After all, this is what main stream manufactors do in production cars. If the looms are secured to anything at all.

Daniel

Macbeast

posted on 1/2/08 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
If you're going to pop rivet the tie-wrap bases, why not use black plastic P clips instead ?

Much neater IMHO

RazMan

posted on 1/2/08 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I roughed up the bases of the cable tie bases and put a dab of PU adhesive in place of the foam pads - they are fairly permanent that way and will also stick to fibreglass panels where the foam pads haven't a chance. I prefer not to drill holes in my nice painted chassis whenever possible

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ditchlewis

posted on 1/2/08 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
As David J says^^^^^^ they like the cabel tie bases but they like them mechanically fixed.

i also nearly failed, because i missed one and that was the one he checked i ended up showing him more and they were all screwed to the chassis.

ditch

MikeRJ

posted on 1/2/08 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
If you're going to pop rivet the tie-wrap bases, why not use black plastic P clips instead ?

Much neater IMHO

Because with the tie wrap bases you have the option of removing the loom (e.g. to add extra wiring) by simply cutting and replacing the tie wrap. If you use P clips you have to drill out the pop rivet and have even more junk rattling around inside the chassis.

mad4x4

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
tie wraps are fine for SVA but i would use them with the small plastic screw down saddle mounts instead of just aound the chassis

Rich

I failed my SVA for putting the loom in a tyrap and then round the chassis. www.Maplin.co.uk do small clips with a hole that you can pop rivet onto the chassis and then tyrap to. You can also get sticky ones as well (but these come off too easily)

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.