Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How long to build ?
bobs bangers

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
How long to build ?

The million dollar question !

How many hours to build an mnr inboard rt model. The kits ordered and arriving early march. I expect to be able to spend about 15hrs a week. Have any of you got an estimated amount of hours it took you or will take you to build. If it makes a difference I am having the raceleda front end.reverse gearbox and paddleshift.

I have heard that someone has put one together in under a month
Regards

Bob

worX

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I built my own car (not an MNR) in about 11 weeks, but was held up a couple of times in that period. But Tim's MNR has taken me about 16 weeks, but I've not been able to work on it for a few reasons in that time for a period of 5-6 weeks.

Both cars built with no time off from work. Built outside (but fully covered) and both at winter!

So I would say that a good build time would be about 10 weeks.

Steve

tegwin

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I recon if I worked on it 3 hours every night, and then 7 hours sat and sun(although would proberably do more)...

I could have it done and on the road in a month...

Provided that I didnt have to sit on my arse for weeks waiting for that cruical nut and bolt to arive...

If anyone wants to put some money on that claim...supply me with a kit and I will show u whos the daddy

[Edited on 4/2/08 by tegwin]

welderman

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
its all about having everything you need for the build, pain in the bum when your constantly waiting for parts, i built mine in 6 months by the way, coulpe of hours here and there.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

bobs bangers

posted on 4/2/08 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for those responses. I should add that I'm buying the job lot in one go. This means hopefully everything will be ready to bolt together. Not the most locost way but it's cheaper for me to buy everything than look for seperate items individually.

Regards

Bob

COREdevelopments

posted on 4/2/08 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
its all about planning!! obviously i aint heard of that and learnt the hard way! 4 years later! least the next one wont take that long!

Rob

blakep82

posted on 5/2/08 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
and money. pain in the arse when you know what you need, but can't afford it....
me i need, vauxhall to type 9 bellhousing, type 9 gearbox, propshaft, halfshafts for the back axle, 18tooth side gears for the diff, megajolt, engine rebuilt, then its electrics, body work sanding filling and spraying, exhaust, rear brakes... etc etc,

have about £18 in the bank.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Bluemoon

posted on 5/2/08 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
All depends on how much you buy, and how much you change from standard/modify. My build has taken a while, but this is because of making lot's of parts and spending a lot of time scratching my head in the process. It's cheaper but a much slower approach (but makes the build individual and I enjoy the build...)..

If NMR have a good build manual with lot's of photos, that should help speed things up. Don't deviate to much from a standard build, that should help.

And plan. Also getting any Donner parts cleaned/painted etc ASAP will help, or buy the parts re-conditioned if your feeling flush..

Cheers

Dan

BenB

posted on 5/2/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I planned on building it in a week. After 6 days of 9-6 in a pro garage with air tools, hoists etc (with a couple of other people working for 3 of those days) we had it on the deck, engine running, steering and brakes all working but no bodywork, no seats, no dash etc etc.

The rest of the build took 3 years

bassett

posted on 5/2/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
No definate answer for this. I rekon one could be built in around 100 hours. But also depends on how much you know, what engine youve gone for, how much time you can spend on it each session and if you have all the right parts that are precleaned. Try and go through the manual now and think ahead what you will need to do but be ready to improvise as the chassis has changed from manuals chassis just to keep things interesting
bobs bangers

posted on 5/2/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I believe there will be a new build manual for march hopefully. I am hoping to have a bit of help and I'm ordering the tools at the minute !! This will make you guys Laugh !! I DONT EVEN OWN AN ELECTRIC DRILL OR SPANNER YET !!

Regards

Bob

bobs bangers

I believe there will be a new build manual for march hopefully. I am hoping to have a bit of help and I'm ordering the tools at the minute !! This will make you guys Laugh !! I DONT EVEN OWN AN ELECTRIC DRILL OR SPANNER YET !!

Regards

Bob

bobs bangers

Regards

Bob

TimC

posted on 5/2/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Building: excitement

No sh#t!

quote:

No sh#t!

quote:

No sh#t!

bobs bangers

posted on 5/2/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Tim

Well spotted !

It appears my finger got stuck on the enter key !!!

Your right I am excited.

Just waiting for the paint swatch to approve. Audi ibis white. I've also gone for the wider gentlemans odyssey 2 seats today.

Regards

Bob

Krismc

posted on 5/2/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobs bangers

Regards

Bob

you will only need a few sizes so you might as well get them sepertly!!

as for build time mines taken 2 years upto now (due to unforseen circumstances) so if it takes 100 man hours to put together ive put approx 13 mins every day into my build!!!!

...if you can put more than that in then it will be done pretty quick! if not enjoy your SVA in 2010

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Agriv8

posted on 6/2/08 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
The good thing with the MNR to speed the build up.

The floor is already on ( No drilling and riveting there )

If you wish everything you need can be purchased from MNR.

Mine took around a year to build.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.