Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Middy scratch builds roll call
Fred W B

posted on 7/2/08 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, less than a day and 20+ responses for planned or current projects. I think there are a few of the usual suspects still to come as well.

Scanning through the photo's on this thread really gives a good idea of what this section of the forum is all about.

Thanks guys

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 7/2/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

TheGecko

posted on 7/2/08 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Project Name – Gecko Clubman (because geckos are small, quick and have sticky feet)
Builder – Dominic (TheGecko)

Chassis – about 50% tacked together
Running gear – Mitsubishi 4G69 MIVEC 2.4 and gearbox. Front: Gemini (Chevette) uprights & wishbones. Rear:Corolla uprights w/ MR2 brakes - struts. Simmons B45 15x7 three piece wheels 205/55-15 tyres
Body – Locost style panels.

Dick Bear

posted on 7/2/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Honda powered, hand shaped aluminum body McLaren M8B inspired scratch build.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_1090.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1090.jpg

www.marketpointproductions.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ians

posted on 7/2/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
real middy

You are correct Tralfaz the DP1 was the inspiration for the build, I spoke to Dennis and he was all for the project, I have to say from the outset the completed vehicle (for competition use) was made entirely by three of my 15 year old students. One student made the plugs, moulds and body. The second was responsible for all fabrication (chassis, wishbones, uprights, etc). The third student did all the machining of parts (hubs, disk bells, steering rack, diff mounts etc). The finished vehicle is 15 inches shorter, 12 inches narrower, and 150 lbs lighter than Dennis' DP1 with an extra 70 horsepower over the motor installed in Dennis' car. The AWD system also varies in the fact that the drive ratios can be split front and rear to suit different track conditions. I have to repeat that the three students are only 15 years old. The car has been tested and shows itself to have immense promise for the forthcoming race season (it will be used mainly for sprints in the UK). A full desciption of how the car was constructed, processes and materials etc is to be featured in Race Car Engineering magazine sometime in the next few months. Uphill Racer I hope thats enough quill for you ...Ians Rescued attachment 168.jpg
Rescued attachment 168.jpg

Ians

posted on 7/2/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis... Rescued attachment 134.JPG
Rescued attachment 134.JPG

Tralfaz

posted on 7/2/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ians,

Thank you very much for the reply. The car looks superb, congratulations to your students. I had the pleasure of meeting Dennis out in Portland 2 Summers ago and had a good look over the car.

How did you handle the drive chains?, it doesn't look as though you utilized as complex a guide system as on the dp1.

I look forward to reading the article.

Ringius

posted on 7/2/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, here goes, though I am not worthy...

Middy with Audi 1.8T engine and trans.
Wheelbase 2400 mm
track 1550mm
height 1150mm

GRP body

Plan to start actual build during summer/early fall when workshop setup

Currently playing around with wooden mockup to sort dimensions and ergonomics. Rescued attachment c5_front_side_mid.jpg
Rescued attachment c5_front_side_mid.jpg

JC

posted on 7/2/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still here! Progress has been glacially slow on the Mistrale over recent months, mainly due to work commitments. Chassis is mainly complete, engine (1,25 Zetec S) mounted, steering done, 'just' need pedals, fuel, water and electrics. Oh and what little body there is!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Uphill Racer

posted on 7/2/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice Ians, but you do know that yellow is the colour wasps are attracted to don't you?
ZEN

posted on 7/2/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ians
Chassis...

What is that red thing with gold rims in the background?

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

airframefixer

posted on 7/2/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
In progress
BEC le mans inspired middy
Yamaha bike engine, dont have one yet.
99" wheelbase, 66" wide
Miata uprights and brakes
1000 lbs dry weight target

Description
Description

Description
Description

Andrew

crafty

posted on 8/2/08 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ians...

Do you have a website for this build.... very interesting.

Ultima GTR - 600hp Magnacharged LS2
MNR Vortx - Supercharged R1
Porsche 356 - midmounted Audi V8

I-man

posted on 8/2/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
You can add me to this list as well!!
Stagger V8
Audi 4.2 V8
Based on the 1938 Auto Union Type C
<<<<<--------------

Ians

posted on 8/2/08 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
red thing in the background

ZEN...a motorbike engined racecar I built back in 1992 its now used as teaching aid to get the students to grasp the basics of suspension design (its featured in "Race and Rally Car Source Book", by Allan Staniforth). The orange car is its 2007 successor...Ians. Rescued attachment 174.jpg
Rescued attachment 174.jpg

Ians

posted on 8/2/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
orange thing in the background

Rescued attachment 170.jpg
Rescued attachment 170.jpg

Ians

posted on 8/2/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
chains

Tralfaz. Experience through the building of motorcycle engined racecars has shown you can often over- complicate . Chain drive is a safe and reliable medium provided you have good sprocket alignment...Ians. Rescued attachment 110.jpg
Rescued attachment 110.jpg

ZEN

posted on 8/2/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
ZEN...a motorbike engined racecar I built back in 1992 its now used as teaching aid to get the students to grasp the basics of suspension design (its featured in "Race and Rally Car Source Book", by Allan Staniforth). The orange car is its 2007 successor...Ians.

Looks stunning and I'm sure that's stunningly fast also

Got the book but haven't yet read it. I'm done with reading "How to Build and Modify Sportscar and Kitcar..." by Des Hammill and now reading "competition car suspension" by Allan Staniforth. Gotta educate myself

Ians

posted on 8/2/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
orange car

ZEN....You will find reference to this car in Competition Car Suspension (latest edition)as well as my research into Ackermann.....Ians
ZEN

posted on 8/2/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
M'key Just got to Chapter 3 and reading on.
p.s. got the fourth edition

[Edited on 8/2/08 by ZEN]

Tralfaz

posted on 8/2/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Tralfaz. Experience through the building of motorcycle engined racecars has shown you can often over- complicate . Chain drive is a safe and reliable medium provided you have good sprocket alignment...Ians.

Agreed. Is it a case where checking tension regularly (maintnance item) is all that's required? Is the span long enough that heat buildup is a non-issue?.. but not so long as to require additional tensioners or support?

ATB,

T

Ians

posted on 8/2/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
chain drive

After initial stretch you would be suprised by how little maintenance is required, dirt is the major cause of most problems keep them clean and lubricated and they last for miles. It is not uncommon for some of our racecars to do 200 standing starts and many racing miles in a season on a chain without breakage....Ians
Ratman

posted on 11/2/08 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
The Road Rat. On the road now for 9 years, but still tinkering with it. never planned to do motorsports with it.. but am now doing sprints, hillclimbs etc. and enjoying it immensely.

Heres the latest outing at the Port Road Street Sprints a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLMHdzTqG0

thanks nitram38 for heads up on link for picture.

[Edited on 12/2/08 by Ratman]

kb58

posted on 12/2/08 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
Well okay, since we're all showing off. This is "Kimini", a carbon fiber shell, tube frame, mid-engine "Mini" powered by a 220hp Honda Prelude FWD assembly located mid-engine.

Oh, and it's for sale... check out the website in my sig.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

nicstreet

posted on 20/2/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Project Name: (None as yet!)
Builder – Nic Street

Chassis – Drawings nearing completion -
Running gear – Engine - Toyota Celica GT4 / MR2 Turbo, Gearbox - Toyota MR2

Body – Minimal (A few ally panels)

Thought this was a particularly good point to introduce myself.

Between 2001 and 2006 my partner and I ran a heavily modified (450+ bhp) Toyota Celica GT4.

After the demise of our Celica GT4 Engine a few years ago all went quiet on the performance car front until I picked up a copy of Chris Gibbs book.

I then got the urge to build something from scratch that wouldnt cost as much, with a greater power to weight ratio but be equally as much fun to drive.

Roll on 2008 and with my other project (a camper van for fishing) nearly finished I will be dedicating my time to build my Mid Engine Monster.

Whilst I have no desire (or funds) to build a monster engine again I will be using the 3S-GTE in nearly stock form.

Hopefully on completion I should see somewhere in the region of 450bhp/tonne.

I'll share my progress over the coming months, and hopefully glean a lot of info from others.

Regards

Nic

stuleah

posted on 25/2/08 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
i am building a mid engined kit that will resemble the ktm xbow, all going well i hope to put it in production.
see http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=83800

[Edited on 25/2/08 by stuleah]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.