<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Middy scratch builds roll call
Dick Bear

posted on 10/7/09 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Mabaan ... Dick Bear's track car project. Rescued attachment IMG_72.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_72.jpg

www.marketpointproductions.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kikiturbo

posted on 29/8/09 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dinoman

Hi just wondering how are you going to heat treat your tubing once you have it all welded together and also what rods will you be using, Regards DM

hi, sorry for the late reply, haven't been on this forum much lately..
I am using Cromo1 (this are not straight 4130 rods ) rods, which was suggested to me by the tubing manufacturer.
I am not heat treating the chasis after welding as there are no facilities to do so, and I do not want to heat individual joints with oxyacetilene torch as I do not consider this to be good controlable practice. Anyway, there has been enough real life evidence that there is no need for post welding heat treatment in such structures.

kennyrayandersen

posted on 11/10/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eurokraft
Hello everyone, wanted to say hello, new here, from USA, california, and wanted to show a bit what I'm doing to you guys, the 2 minis pictured are built over an original early toyota MR2 chassis that has been shortened at the rear fire wall, the mini body is steel the wide body glassfiber design ed and built by me.
At the moment I am building a tube frame, based on "Graber cars" chassis plans, hope to have it done soon. the body will be all glassfibre, molds are already made, so things are looking good!

cheers, Tony

[Edited on 14/1/09 by eurokraft]

[Edited on 14/1/09 by eurokraft]

I'm wondering how close to a Riot wheel base and track that body would be? That would be a slick drop-on companion to the car-yet-to-be-named from Sylva. Hmmmm... I just can't get past the Riot looks, though I like the concept. The Mini would be a lot better for weather than the open versions from Sylva... and it looks a lot cooler.

Dinoman

posted on 12/10/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kikiturbo
quote:
Originally posted by Dinoman

Hi just wondering how are you going to heat treat your tubing once you have it all welded together and also what rods will you be using, Regards DM

hi, sorry for the late reply, haven't been on this forum much lately..
I am using Cromo1 (this are not straight 4130 rods ) rods, which was suggested to me by the tubing manufacturer.
I am not heat treating the chasis after welding as there are no facilities to do so, and I do not want to heat individual joints with oxyacetilene torch as I do not consider this to be good controlable practice. Anyway, there has been enough real life evidence that there is no need for post welding heat treatment in such structures.

Hi sorry again for late reply, there is no strenght advantage in using 4130 tube if you are not going to Heat threat after welding as the weld surrounding area will be reduced to simlar strenght as ERW tube so the extra cost is just wasted, Regards DM

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ZEN

posted on 12/10/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
@kennyrayandersen

What is the red car behind the minies?

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

kennyrayandersen

posted on 14/10/09 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
I’d like to get in touch with Fiberglass body MR2 Mini guy. I tried to U2U, but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right, or if I did whether he got it. If you get this, could you drop me a line at:
kennyrayandersen (aht) yahoo.com
Thanks, Kenny

kennyrayandersen

posted on 28/10/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
bump -- Glass mini dude, Where are you?
dmulally

posted on 10/11/09 at 02:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All

I am building a scratch lotus 23 with a wrx turbo dry sumped in the clacker. Be interested to hear from any other 23 scratch builders.

Cheers

Damo

eurokraft

posted on 8/12/09 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kennyrayandersen
bump -- Glass mini dude, Where are you?

Here I am lol still alive and the minitoy too
whats up??

kennyrayandersen

posted on 11/12/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Just wonder how to get a hold of you so we could keep track of your body production, should you start producing them [for reals]. I've personally really liked it since the original article came out way back when. I think I called you back then as well, but things were a little slow getting rolling. I think the design really has merit -- especially if there is a chassis, or even chassis plans available to go with it. I would personally prefer a V-tec over the Toyota, but even if it were set up for a MR2 rear drive train it would be VERY interesting. Do you have a website, or contact information? Feel free to drop me a line at kennyrayandersen(at)yahoo.com
kennyrayandersen

posted on 28/12/09 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Mid-engined Mini

Rather than e-mail you back directly (don’t lose my e-mail!), I thought it would serve the ‘community' a bit better to offer suggestions here. What is the actual wheelbase and track? If you could find a chassis that was close, it might make sense to do a re-body with what you have rather than make a chassis from scratch. There are several fairly short chassis that come to mind. There is the new J-15 mid-engine chassis, and there is the MK engineering mid engine chassis, which is pretty new. I think both of those are pretty small (it would probably be easier to scale it up or stretch it than it would be to make it smaller (smaller usually being a more difficult packaging problem to solve). Perhaps there are others. If you’d give us the dimensions, maybe someone might chime in with some possibilities

kb58

posted on 28/12/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
They started with an MR-2 and dropped a fiberglass Mini shell onto it.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

Blue Devil

posted on 17/2/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
R1 mid engine build here

Mid Engine R1 build
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4970&start=0

Mr Noo

posted on 21/3/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, been lurking for a while here, very good site. Enclosed are a couple of pics of my 917 buck under construction. Plans are to put a Bike engine in the back of it, to be used mainly for track days etc. Am glad my workshop seems like everyone else`s!!
Chris

Mr Noo

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Bit more progress!

suparuss

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
got my fuel tank plumbed in today and put in a bit of go-go juice. 3 years stood still and the engine fired up after turning over 3 times on the first turn of the key! which was nice, albeit surprising! yippeeeee!
Alex_The_Educated_Novice

posted on 30/1/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Car: Mid-engined, rear drive 2 seater, enclosed cockpit.
Builder: Alex Brown (myself).
Chassis: Steel space frame, aluminum honeycomb(?).
Engine/Transmission: Porsche Boxster/Cayman flat six, Porsche manual.
Suspension: Double wishbone all round.
Bodywork: Aluminium/GRP.
Design Features: Aircraft style cockpit canopy; medium profile tyres; driving experience and involvement prioritised over performance.

Build Stage: Doodles in a notebook.

Motto: All the Ideas, Without any Gear [head in the clouds, nothing to show for it].

kb58

posted on 30/1/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Project Name – Midlana
Builder – Kurt Bilinski
Chassis – self-designed and built
Running gear – Miata suspension bits, Honda turbo K24
Body – Similar to a Lotus Super Seven but mid-engine. There will be a book with plans.
Website - midlana.com

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

ZEN

posted on 30/1/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
There will be a book with plans.

Ice cool!

[Edited on 30/1/11 by ZEN]

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

b14wrc

posted on 30/3/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Project Name – 'b14 wrc' locost

Builder – Rob Wood

Chassis – self-designed and built

Running gear – cortina mk V hubs, mk II steering rack, Fiat coupe 20v Turbo

Body – Locost / Lotus Seven redesigned and developed to take a mid-engine, Exposed 'naked' carrbon fibre body panels

Power around 250 - 300 bhp
Dry Weight (designed) 550 - 600kg

Power to weight 416-500 to 454-545BHP/Ton Ideally over 400BHP/Ton!

Mixture of Mock up and 2D CAD drawings - actual build to begin in the summer of 2011.

20vt powered rear engined locost

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/4/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Bought time I posted in here

Project Name – "The Mutant" Custom Mazda/Volvo Mutant Middy
Builder – Liam Mc
Engine - Supercharged Volvo B5234T from V70
Gearbox - Volvo 850 M56
Chassis –Custom Prototype
Running gear – Front Mazda Mx5, Rear hybrid Mx5 upright with Sierra Xr4x4 stub axle and hub.
Body – Modified Version of Westfield Protoype

[Edited on 7/4/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

coyoteboy

posted on 1/7/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ah go on then, now it's largely under way.

Project - Hmm. Didn't think that one through
Builder - Me
Type - Two seater, open cockpit, minimal bodywork.
Running gear - Primarily Audi/VW V8 (4.2 ABZ on stock intake for the time being), 6spd 01E transaxle, Custom shafts
Chassis- Spaceframe, details not pinned down as I've not started designing that yet.
Body - Bits and pieces will be GRP/CF but I don't really want much.
Progress - Engine about 70% there. Box needs a clean, wheels under way. Still early stages and took the route of starting at the tyres and moving inward so uprights are my next priority.

Targetting 500kg. May not make it but I have to have a target. That said, with engine, box, wheels, tyres and shafts I've got about 190kg to spare so far.

It's going to be a road going track car rather than a track going road car, or at least that's the general plan.

[Edited on 1/7/12 by coyoteboy]

eddie99

posted on 1/7/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I guess mine comes under this as we've developed all new chassis and suspension.

So Elite Delta.
Builder - Me (Elite Motorsport Engineering)
ZX10 Powered mid engined single seater with LMP bodywork.
Bodywork - Half from Global GT, Half modified/added.
Chassis - Our own spaceframe design
Progress - Pretty much there, its been on track and now changed a bit more.

Weighs 475kg with me (minimum weight for bikesports)

[Edited on 1/7/12 by eddie99]

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
theprisioner

posted on 17/9/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sylva J15

Project Name – No6
Builder – theprisioner (Alastair R)
Chassis – Sylva J15 with seat, tank, steering position and passenger footwell mods
Engine - Sigma 1.7 (Puma) tuned by Sitec Racing
Body – red

Chassis painted
Chassis painted

kitman

posted on 5/5/13 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andygtt
Hi all... after a year out im finally in a possition to get back on my project...

Amazing!
What chassis do you use?

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.