Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V55/5 What to do before SVA for a Locost
ChrisS

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
V55/5 What to do before SVA for a Locost

Ive just been told that before i fill in my SVA form that i need to fill in a V55/5 and get the car looked at by DVLA so they can give me a chassis number. Is this correct, or can i just make one up?

Im confused about the actual process. I thought i just put a chassis number on the car goto SVa, then gotDVLA after form a Plate.

Any Ideas.

Thanks

nitram38

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I made my own number up and used an online vin checker to make sure that it didn't exist. You can have up to 17 numbers/letters, but there are exceptions like no I's, etc. (you will have to look this up).
The chances are that your own vin will not exist. Just think of the odds of winning the lotto and you will understand why!

You will need a chassis number stamped on it or a welded plate for the sva man to check.

[Edited on 12/2/2008 by nitram38]

coozer

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Online vin checker? Interesting where can I find that?

I wrote to my local DVLA with a proposed number and they replied saying it was OK.

OT, at the bottom of the letter they, (Stockton) suggested I use Newcastle, even though the Stockton office is closer!!!

The DVLA is designed to be baffled or baffling depending which side of the counter your on......

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

caber

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
You have to use exactly 17 digits or DVLA computer system won't accept it and you will have to change it! Rules on vehicle identity check seem to vary from office to office, in Edinburgh they make you take the car to the VOSA in Livingston where they have a nice little shed full of health and safety equipment, just in case of I don't know what! The inspector wouldn't bend down to read the number on the floor of my car so wroe it down wrong requiring a second inspection!

Caber

02GF74

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
You have to use exactly 17 digits or DVLA computer says no.

Interesting.

I have letter from DVLA stating the VIN must be at least 9 characters but not more than 17. It also lists the letters that are not allowed.

My VIN is 13 in length.

I don't really know how the DVLA recorded my VIN since it contains both 0 (zero) and O (letter O).

No questions were asked about it at any time.

[Edited on 12/2/08 by 02GF74]

iank

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022316

Clear as mud

[Edited on 12/2/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

BenB

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
VINs don't have to be 17 characters. DVLA will try and say "computer says no" with anything else but if you explain they're talking out of their anal sphincters and ask how then do they register Jap imports etc that have IIRC 15 digits. They went away and came back with the decision that maybe my 16 character VIN wasn't so much of a problem after all.

Of course it's easier to get a 17 digit VIN number (I'd already done SVA on the 16 digit number and wasn't too enthused with their suggestion of adding on another digit and repeating SVA!) and preferably discuss it with the local office you're going to be dealing with as some like to decide on your VIN for you. Of course they may not choose one of your liking....

robinj66

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
You'll be fine wth maidstone DVLA - you can make up your own VIN.

BTW they do the Build Up Inspection at the office (no home visits) and it is done after the SVA. I arranged my BUI for the afternoon of the SVA test and popped in there on the way home.

If in doubt contact Maidstone DVLA. Unfortunately you have to call Swansea and ask to speak to the person dealing with kit car registration at Maidstone. you leave a contact number and then the locals call you back later. I think the woman's name is Caroline

ChrisS

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
Chris
You'll be fine wth maidstone DVLA - you can make up your own VIN.

BTW they do the Build Up Inspection at the office (no home visits) and it is done after the SVA. I arranged my BUI for the afternoon of the SVA test and popped in there on the way home.

If in doubt contact Maidstone DVLA. Unfortunately you have to call Swansea and ask to speak to the person dealing with kit car registration at Maidstone. you leave a contact number and then the locals call you back later. I think the woman's name is Caroline

Robin Thanks for you advice about maidstone. Ive now done my SVA form and made up a VIN. So ill send the form off and see what happens. :-)

nitram38

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
coozer, about the vin checker, just do a search on google, there are plenty.

[Edited on 12/2/2008 by nitram38]

Stu16v

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
You have to use exactly 17 digits or DVLA computer system won't accept it and you will have to change it!

As the others have said, and as I replyed to you at the time. Pretty much *all* Jap grey imports do not have 17 digits numbers, and many kits and home builds are registered every year without 17 digits.

But I think you were loosing the will to live by then

Dont just build it.....make it!

nitram38

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ask Russ Bost, I think he only has 11 digits for his chassis number

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.