Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Straight Cut Gearbox Oil Help!
Mr G

posted on 27/10/03 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Straight Cut Gearbox Oil Help!

Don't let me down lads!!

I've finally got an adapter made up so that i can mate my type 9 2.0l straight cut box upto my v6. Its about that time to give the box a final wash out and re-fill. Before I have just used petrol to swill around and wash out - but some people have mentioned this may be detremental - any views?

There's also the question of gearbox oil. When I bought the box from the rally outfit they said i should use ATF but then rally boxes normally get pulled out and stripped on a regular basis - what would be the effect of running ATF on the synchro cones ???

To be honest i told my mate at a garage once to check the gearbox oil level while it was in and he topped it up with ep90 not knowing it was running ATF - so when it was last in the car it was running on a mixture of both!

How much movement there is on the clutch plate on the splines? The adapter i have made up which houses the spigot bearing is about 6mm behind the plate - see the attached image - I have 2 plates - one where the centre splined section does not protrude out as far as the other - will i have problems with the possibility of them touching?

Finally concerning these 2 clutch plates - when i took the gearbox out the car the clutch was slipping on giving it a right foot full, also vibrated badly when under load going up a hill and you put your foot down - apon taking the clutch out the release bearing was totally shot - the actual clutch plate looks fine, flywheel ok but the pressure plate very ripped. Main cause of my problem the clutch release bearing and pressure plate shot do you think???

The clutch plate is a borg and beck which looks very healthy still. Springs are nice and tight compared to the other one i have (doubled up rivets instead of singles) where the springs are loose - what would be the problems associated with loose springs?

Sorry if this seems an essay but its all going back in tomorrow and i need to make sure everything is 100%

Any answers/ideas greatly appreciated

Cheers

G Rescued attachment Picture 0248.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 0248.jpg

Fast Westie

posted on 28/10/03 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I would use a good synthetic 75W90 oil. I have BP stuff in my Tran-X box, but you can get the Comma stuff quite easily.

As for the cluth, I do not really see what the problem is. Do you have a twin plate setup with sintered metal, or is it a standard organic clutch? If standard, I would change pressure plate and drive plate. Also ensure that the release bearing is not permanently in contact with the fingers.

The car in front is a Westfield

Mr G

posted on 28/10/03 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers!
Stu16v

posted on 28/10/03 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Dont be too concerned about loose springs as long as they arent broken, very often new plate springs will also be loose (and usually come with a note in the box stating the above!).

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Mr G

posted on 29/10/03 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks stu, that's put my mind to rest on that issue

Cheers

G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.