Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA age related....
coozer

posted on 19/2/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
DVLA age related....

Now then, a little while to go before I attempt to get the registration BUT, its niggling me a bit.

I have a number on retention that I want to use on my kit... I'm very sure I will get an age related plate so not to worried about that.

I can just see the scene, I'm in the DVLA office trying to get my car reged and I say "oh, by the way, I have a number I would like to use, on retention?" as the guy scratches and shakes his head.

Anyone been down this route? Am I likely to cause a bit of mayhem??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mike smith1

posted on 19/2/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
We have an age related plate, by retention do you mean you want to use the actual plate you have? They will not allow you to use the exact registration you have, they will only issue a plate on the same year reg, if you get me.

Mike

02GF74

posted on 19/2/08 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
SHAME ON YOU!!!

The DVLA functions like a finely tuned piece of precision machinery and what you are proposing is like sticking a scaffolding pole into the works.

Computer says no.

jabs

posted on 19/2/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
WhatI think he is saying is when he registers his car he will get an age related plate then he wants to change the reg to the plate he has on retention.

Know you can't do it for a 'Q' but what about an age related plate?

Humbug

posted on 19/2/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I think I see what you're after: the car should qualify for an age-related number, but you already have a separate number on retention (like COO 23R ).

It's worth asking, but they might insist on giving you the age related number first, then you'll have to go through the transfer process (and pay...) to put your retention number on.

EDIT: if its age-related it's not a Q and I believe it therefore qualifies the same as any other number to be transferred or replaced, as long as it's not a newer number than the age-related one.

[Edited on 19.02.2008 by Humbug]

alanr

posted on 19/2/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Depends if they treat it as though it was a new car (new from the point of view of registration)
My wife bought a new car and had a plate on retention - the car didn't have to have a new plate allocated first - it just was given the retained plate but she got charged for the transfer

Alan

coozer

posted on 19/2/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
My donor was on a K and I hope to get an age related one also on a K.

I have a number on retention that is also on a K that ends MNR

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mike smith1

posted on 19/2/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
We had a K reg plate from our donor, we bought a plate from the dvla personal plate website that ended in MK, the guy at sheffield just place the car on that plate

Mike

Schrodinger

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't have to pay to put a retained plate onto a car as that is part of the retention fee.
I had a J reg donor on my Tiger Cat and a J reg personal number on retention, the retained number went straight on the Cat at registration. HOWEVER, when I sold the car I put the number back on retention and ended up with an 02 plate on the Cat as that was the first year of registration and they would not see my Cat as a Kit

Keith
Aviemore

Guinness

posted on 20/2/08 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
My Indy is on an age related J plate, J79MTN. Of course the DVLA couldn't stretch to MTC (which is my initials)!

But on the registration document it specifically says "non-transferable" number. I'd assumed that meant I couldn't flog my number to someone and stick an age related private plate on it.

But Steve, ask Jambojeef about the registration / inspection process, cause he's running round on a very nice N*57*** plate!

Mike

Marcus

posted on 20/2/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Guiness has it, you can't transfer an age related plate from a kit, but you can put a different plate on the kit providing it's no newer than the plate that came off.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.