Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: band saw or chop saw?
aerosam

posted on 20/2/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
band saw or chop saw?

Hi guys, I have finally got the garage space and free cash to start the locost project I have been itching to start now for AAAAAGES. So I'm just tooling up with a few things I need. One of the most important things for me is and accurate power saw to ensure my chassis pieces are cut properly - first time.

I can see 2 options 1st is a metal cutting bandsaw from machine Mart that can cut in both horizontal and vertical planes - 180 quid.

The other option os a RAGE 3 versatile compound mitre saw. Also from Machine mart for around 150 quid.

Price wise there's not much in it (ecxept that replacement blades for the RAGE saw are 35 quid each!) But from experience, what's best?

Thanks,

Sam

big_wasa

posted on 20/2/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
The best option is the cheapest and thats a hacksaw. If you can use one.

I cant cut a piece of tube square to save my arse so I bought a machine mart cut of saw.

well worth it. but it is a bit messy

Volvorsport

posted on 20/2/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
i think youll find the mitre saw from rage a much better tool than the chop saw , and more accurate .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

britishtrident

posted on 20/2/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Seriously an eclipse hacksaw frame and a few decent quality blades is all that is required.

posted on 20/2/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
My iccle band saw has been a faithful friend.

I have modified the legs to stiffen it up and fitted a coolant (read fish tank) pump.

It's slow, but will cut spot on square, or whatever angle required, and it's QUIET

Paul G Rescued attachment IMGP1523s.jpg
Rescued attachment IMGP1523s.jpg

ch1ll1

posted on 20/2/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
i have both,
would say band saw for me all day long!

paul

Alan B

posted on 20/2/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Bandsaw...no question
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
bandsaw, but be prepared to spend a few hours setting it all up, the cheap ones (like mine which is the same as paul 907's above) need a bit of shimming on the blade guide usually.

once set, they are great, cut dead square every time and as he said, are peaceful.

The lack of speed is no issue, you leave it cutting while you are welding.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

zetec7

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the bandsaw. Mine's the same as the one above, and cut all the steel for my chassis, with every single cut coming out perfect - even the compound angles. Chop saws get very hot at the area of the cut, so be careful of cutting tempered steel. whereas the bandsaw cuts are cold, and very clean.

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jwallbank

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Bandsaw definitely - wish I'd got one at the start of my project. Machine Mart sell one that converts to a vertical bandsaw - great for cutting small brackets & profiles. Cut the 5mm plate on the bottom front wishbones a treat. Best thing of all - your arms don't ache after using it
Danozeman

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Bandsaw deffo. If you have the space. Much more useable.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

niceperson709

posted on 21/2/08 at 02:31 AM Reply With Quote
The question you have to ask yourself is are you going to do this again?
Now my solution to the how to cut your tubes was to buy a very cheap mitre saw and some abrasive cutting disc's. as long as you do not use excessive pressure this works brilliantly, giving very accurate cuts I did not have to redress any of the angles on my tubes, My saw cost $45 aud (about 20 quid?)and at that sort of price I considered it disposable especially as i had already built a music studio for my wife with it!
The only thing is that once the abrasive disc wears down you have to pack the work to be cut up to ensure a full thickness not a biggy as by the time you get to that stage you will have enough of cuts to use as packers.
Do it outside if you can and wear ear and eye protection.
Cheers

[Edited on 21/2/08 by niceperson709]

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

niceperson709

posted on 21/2/08 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
BTW hacksaws are for masochists when it comes to car building

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

aerosam

posted on 21/2/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
okey dokey - bandsaw it is!

Thanks guys!

[Edited on 21/2/08 by aerosam]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.