Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: GBS Zero
AndyW

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
GBS Zero

Any one had any experience of these..... just a thought.....but unsure as it seems quite new.

I seem to have found several peoples thoughts about RH and now wondered how much improved GBS is over the RH.

Any help/advise welcome

tjoh84

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
whats gbs zero.
snapper

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Worth looking at the Robin Hood owners club site, not many in build but Scottie686 is nearly there in 6 months.
Customer service levels are in a different league.

Scotts Zero

You take the kit and make it your own, no kit is an easy build and the Robin Hood ? GBS has suffered from the difficulty of build but it's cheap so if you buy cheap you have to work harder to achieve.

Robin Hood owners that have built there cars have said.... it was tough, there were a lot of problems to solve.. but

WOW i have done it and its on the road.

People that have bought Robin Hoods and not completed them have said
some very bad things about them.

People that build the Ron Champion or the Chris Gibbs Locosts dont seem to have the expectations of a Lego build and just solve the problems

[Edited on 20/2/08 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

AndyW

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.greatbritishsportscars.com/news.php

look here

onzarob

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I like the look of them, just not much feed back around, the cost of the kit is really interesting
AndyW

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
I like the look of them, just not much feed back around, the cost of the kit is really interesting

thats exactly what I though....nice looking car......trying to find some feedback on rhoc but not registered....

stuart_g

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look at this when it was launched at Stoneleigh last year and I still had my 2B.

It is a vast improvement over the old RH designs but still the fit and finish of the panels needs a lot of improvement. They may have improved it by now though as Richard said they were finishing the show car off on the way down to the show.

The price isn't bad but like everything, you get what you pay for.

snapper

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Not many registered on RHOCar at the moment but a lot of the ally lightweights have surfaced years after the original sales and we/ the rhocar have solved those problems, the Zero looks to be better thought out and a more simple build in rhocar standards.
But have a look at the shows, aske questions of GBS and ask on the RHOCar site.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

eznfrank

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I quite fancied one and there demo one is pretty neat but when I called to go down and have a look they told me to call a day or so in advance as they may have had to "borrow" parts if a customer has been let down. I know this industry can sometimes struggle with issues like that but was in stark comparison to MK who told me to turn up whenever I liked.
martin1973

posted on 21/2/08 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
i would buy a secondhand wheelbarrow from GBS (formally robin hood)

but that just from the dealings i've heard about and had myself.

the zero looks a nice car but i dont think it has the back up.

martin

robinj66

posted on 21/2/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I would have agreed with Martin last year - all my dealings with GBS had been pretty poor and it felt like they couldn't be bothered to help me (even at their (old) factory).

The turning point seemed to be Donington last year - there were different people present and the attitude was completely changed.

I even went up to the new premises a couple of weeks ago (actually the day those photos were taken for the amended website) and both Richard [Hall]and his Dad were like a breath of fresh air.

They quite cheerfully gave me a couple of hours of their time (on a Saturday morning) even though all I actually bought was a £10 part. they both talked knowledgably about the various cars that were in the workshop - some were very old models, built well before they took over the company. They were able to assist me with issues on my 1995 S7.

All in all, I would say that if you deal with the right people there they are both helpful and knowledgable. The Zero looks a good, well thought out kit and I'd be happy to deal with the company.

paulf

posted on 21/2/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at the zero and it is basically a locost chassis with independent rear suspension.The general construction wasnt bad although it didnt work out a lot cheaper than the other better thought of manufactures.
Paul.

2b_pablo

posted on 21/2/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
been strongly considering one, looks like good value for money alright.

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

AndyW

posted on 21/2/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2b_pablo
been strongly considering one, looks like good value for money alright.

thats what I was thinking

scotty g

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the zero was basically just the Lolocaost chassis sold as a more complete package?
i had a 2B a few years ago and the quality of the kit was truly shocking, from what i've seen of the Zero its a big step forard in the right direction and should be a damn sight easier to SVA over the lightwieght!

AndyW

posted on 22/2/08 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
very tempted, just wondering how much cheaper than a basic MK for instance???
stuart_g

posted on 23/2/08 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
After just looking at their web site and the list of parts you get with the kit and seeing what it was like at Stoneleigh, I don't think it is good value at all. If the lights are anything like what you get with the 2B kit for instance you will want to change them for something a bit better, so what is the point in paying for them only to change them. All IMHO of course.

IMHO you are better off going for an MK as the end result will be better.

AndyW

posted on 25/2/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the advice and opinions, still have to make up my mind. But get this, my wife's answer is order an MK indy. The reason, my daughters initialls are M.K!!!
Simple really, should have thought of that my self

Volvorsport

posted on 26/2/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
while im not jumping on any sort of get GBS bandwagon since i have history with them , the parst you get in the kit are so basic and so cheap , that you are actually paying a lot more for something than you would if you bought it trade anyway , such is the price/quality of the stuff .

Most of the cheap stuff is sourced from Turkey , and youd be far better off buying something with a bit more quality altho a fair few manufacturers do buy from GBS at trade , so watch out .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.