Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GBS Bike Carb conversion kit
RobBrown

posted on 21/2/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
GBS Bike Carb conversion kit

Hi,

Has anyone enquired as to how much the Bike Carb conversion kit is, for a Pinto. Currently being advertised by GBS on their home page (click). And what it includes.

Just wondered if it was a real alternative to Bogg Brothers for those of us on a budget.

I've sent them an email, but i'm impatient. Just noticed it, so unable to ring as it's almost bedtime

Thanks
Rob

martin1973

posted on 21/2/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
think i would spent a few more quid and get them from bogg bros
as they know what they are doing
also boggs will drill out the jets in your carbs.

got mine from boggs bolted them on and started the engine never touched the carbs at all!!

martin

RobBrown

posted on 21/2/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I already have a set of carbs jetted correctly, just interested as to whether they would do a manifold and for what price, including rubbers and clips. If they are too close to the Boggs price will go with Boggs. Although likely to have to wait a lot longer, with Boggs.

I'm also not totally fussed about it being all shiny. Just needs to do the job, I want to get these on the car before the weather breaks for the couple of weeks of summer we are going to have this year.

Rob

Volvorsport

posted on 21/2/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
at £280 , and then needing them setup - not that locost is it .

im not biased , if they cant make money selling kits like they used to - looks like theyre on a slippery slope .

itll cost them about £12 in materials to make that manifold .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

caber

posted on 21/2/08 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
cost me £6 for materials, one length of straight exhaust all the rest came from scrap! easy enough to weld it up, mine's steel,

Go on have a go yourself!

Caber

bill132hotrod

posted on 22/2/08 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs

Hi there why you are on the subject of bike carbs, can anyone tell me where the (2) pipes that are linked together on the underside of the bike carbs , by a 't' piece.
where does this pipe go when using on a car engine.

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Dont forget it doesnt matter who supplied the kit - getting the engine running is good but you will need them setting up correctly on the rollers. Mine were running very well at first, better than ive ever had before. Power was good and car felt fast...... or so i thought. Boggs determined that it was way too weak, set it all up and my word what a difference. Factoring in £70 or so for the tune up not only will release the ful potential but will also save your engine.

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Just looked at the pics. Please tell me its not £280 for the carbs and a manifold (where did the £280 come from).

Boggs manifold was just under £190. Carbs can be had for £50. Id expect a steel manifold to be a bit cheaper. You dont need shiny ali so nowt wrong with steel (unless you are chasing every gramme).

Its all the other bits that soon add up. Pump, cables, gasket, choke (if reqd), filter(s), etc etc.

Still a worthwhile mod if you have std carb or slightly better to start with. Ive ended up with 120bhp at back wheels, doesnt sound much but puts big grin on my face.

MJLJ was the second best mod ive done to my car (cant say if head porting and cam swap was worthwhile as i did that before driving it).

Volvorsport

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
thats how much they had them up for sale - i think they removed the price now .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

2b_pablo

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
fat dave does manifolds for 110 quid odds I think from memory.

carbs seem to be getting dearer now darren as demand grows

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to recal fat dave quoted me about £140 a while back but i didnt want to respace the carbs. Id rather pay a tad more and know im getting them though (nothing else needs to be said - please dont hijack).

Yeah carbs are going up in price but there should still be some bargains out there if you fall in lucky.

RobBrown

posted on 22/2/08 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've asked Fat Dave to knock me up a manifold. He's away for the next few weeks so just interested in the other options. I wouldn't go near it at £280.

I would love to go to the Boggs rolling road, but that's a 440 mile round trip and 8 hours. A bit of a trek.

rolling roads are few and far between, and have already had an expensive experience of one locally.

Rob

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
There must be a business opportunity for a good old school rolling road south of Birmingham.

It was a 4 hour round trip for me to go to Boggs and i loved every moment of it. Some fantastic roads (if a little slow going).

RobBrown

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
There's a place in Cheltenham, called Mech Repair, which has some good reviews from people. I'll see if they deal with Bike Carbs on Car Engines.

Rob

jacko

posted on 23/2/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Rob what bike carbs are you using ?
look in my photos under zx9r i made the manifold and it may help you
The RH manifold looks a bit long to fit a 7type car to me i think the RH car is biger
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinnievector

posted on 24/2/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Hi ,don't know the cbs ones but the boggs i do and they are value for money when you look at the work that is involved there not just bits of tube stuck on to a flange they are properly tapered gas flowed and have the ringed recesses to fit your bike carb manifold rubbers which will seal correctly , loads cheaper than fitting weber's ,that's locost to me .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.