Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Project
nicstreet

posted on 27/2/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
New Project

Well it had to happen didnt it. After spending the last couple of months designing my mid-engine project I started to look at a few vids on youtube of BEC's and reading through a few posts on here. Coupled with the fact that my chosen powerplant (3S-GTE) was weighing in at nearly 300kgs I think I have been drawn to the dark side!!

Just a couple of questions before I start re-designing.

1. I would like to keep the mid engined configuration as this will hopefully minimise the amount of re-shuffling I'll have to do with my designs. What is the common choice for connection to the rear diff? in a middy.

2. Although I'll probably do a few track days I'll also use it on the road quite a bit, with this in mind would the blade engine be ok? Dont want to be pushing major high revs all the time. Also considered R1 and the ZX12, the latter being at the upper range of my budget.

3. Should I be looking at an alternative diff? Are there any alternatives worth looking at?

I'd appreciate any input as my Bike engine knowledge is err, somewhat limited.

Many thanks in advance

Nic

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 27/2/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Chain drive is reatively easy but can get a bit more complicated if you want reverse!

My setup

Regards

Wyn

Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/2/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
You could fit a very short propshaft similar to what Spire Sportscars do ( http://www.blackbird-gtr.co.uk/ ) have a look at the build pics, engine for inspiration.

Alternatively you could use chain drive with a converted diff such as this ( http://www.westgarage.co.uk/services/chain/chaindrives.html ) - there are others available too - Roadrunner racing springs to mind.

Guess it depends which way around you are fitting the engine and how much space you have

[Edited on 27/2/08 by Paul TigerB6]

nicstreet

posted on 27/2/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, some food for though there! I like the idea of a mini-prop, which I assume would help with any slight mis-alignment issues.

Space shouldnt be an issue as I'd allowed essentially a 90cm cube for engine and box, I should be able to reduce this quite a bit.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 27/2/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
You'll find pics of mine in my archive - it is named correctly too!
You need around 750mm from headers to centre of axle line (will obviously vary a bit according to what engine), but you need a good 300mm behind the axle centreline to accomodate the crown wheel & reverse starter if mounted as mine is.
Strangely the overall dimensions aren't that much different if you turn the engine & use a prop, reverse might be marginally more difficult tho'.

Good luck with your project

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blue2cv

posted on 27/2/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Theres some pics of my blackbird project in my archive, i'm using a chain drive transaxle
Lippoman

posted on 28/2/08 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Russbost - Details on diffreverse, please

Hi!
Like your diff setup, could you provide more details, like what parts you used, where you sourced the parts?
What kind of control do you have, on/off or some kind of speed control?
Looks like something that could find its way to the back of my middy BEC project...

BR,

L

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.