Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MUSHROOM ADAPTER POSITION?
KJK

posted on 1/3/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
MUSHROOM ADAPTER POSITION?

CAN anyone tell me which position they should be fitted in the hub? ie where the hole should be.
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/3/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
well people put the offset hole where ever it gives them the desired camber, for starters I just have the wheels at zero and then work from there once on the road.

I sure others will say something totally different...

[Edited on 1/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 1/3/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are set with the hole in the mushroom adapter at the front.
I believe this is generally what is suggested.
Steve.

leto

posted on 1/3/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
When you look at the upright from the side you would like a line through the joints to go through or as close as possible to, the center of the hub.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

jacko

posted on 1/3/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have them at the front also in my Indy
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddbaz

posted on 1/3/08 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I was at mk today and asked them the same question ,i was told to have the hole towards the front then make the camber adjustment,was told to set it neutral to start with.
matt_claydon

posted on 2/3/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
The mushroom is not for setting camber, it's for setting caster. Once you have the desired caster (which is usually 'as much as possible', ie hole to the front) then you adjust the camber using the upper balljoint.

[Edited on 2/3/08 by matt_claydon]

NeilP

posted on 2/3/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Rotating the mushroom doesn't change the castor as the king pin angle is still down through the ball joints (and castor is the KPI as viewed from the side) - It does give an effect called trailing hub (like supermarket trolley wheels) which gives slightly better self centring and more resistance to turning.

Best to have a play and if you want to get it bang on then go and find a garage that can do race setups like the Procomps of this world (Matt, If you are reading, I will get to see you soon, promise!).

HTH

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

tks

posted on 2/3/08 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeilP
Rotating the mushroom doesn't change the castor as the king pin angle is still down through the ball joints (and castor is the KPI as viewed from the side) - It does give an effect called trailing hub (like supermarket trolley wheels) which gives slightly better self centring and more resistance to turning.

Best to have a play and if you want to get it bang on then go and find a garage that can do race setups like the Procomps of this world (Matt, If you are reading, I will get to see you soon, promise!).

HTH

In my opinion this is false.

The centre of the hubs hole (strut) wont be anymore inline with the centre of the arms/bracket, it will lean backwards...

its true that the balljoints don't move any degree.. but the effect is clear, the wheel axle will travel a line wich is not level anymore to the ground...

Tks

[Edited on 2/3/08 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

NeilP

posted on 5/3/08 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Scrub radius changes with trailing hub so it will have an impact on self centring and hence resistance to turning but the castor angle is set by the ball joints so it won't change by altering the mushroom.

Think we're saying the same thing but there are some serious suspension geometry experts on here so worth a report to catch them IMHO

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.