Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CNC Machining around Ashford in Kent
John P

posted on 3/3/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
CNC Machining around Ashford in Kent

For work I need to find a machine shop, ideally near to Ashford in Kent, who can do some relatively simple milling and drilling at a sensible cost.

The job comprises some 12 x 70 mild steel bars approx 1.2 metres long which need a slot milled across them and a number of tapped holes putting in which are on all faces.

At present we have a supplier who is doing the job on a sophisticated multi-axis CNC machining centre which make an excellent job but we're paying Aerospace prices.

Any suggestions?

John.

short track 123

posted on 3/3/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Do they need to be CNCed? If not machine time should be a lot less.

Just a thought.....

Jason

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
John P

posted on 3/3/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not necessarily. The milling is very basic but there are a around 20 drilled and tapped holes which are on all 6 faces so without CNC they would either have to be marked out or jigged.

Years ago I worked with a company who had an 2-axis CNC mill / drill which had a simple 6 station turret and just point to point control (no contouring). This type of very basic machine would do the job OK but I'm not sure these exist any more.

short track 123

posted on 4/3/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a regular job or a large batch i have used a place not to far from Northampton Brixworth Engineering Co. Ltd
I know they are not in Ashford but might improve your chances if you look further a field.

Hope this helps

Jason

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.