Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 1st post
Timw

posted on 6/3/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
1st post

This is my first post on here. I've recently bought kev r1's old Indy R1. Due to recent weather and lack of days off work yesterday was my 1st proper drive in it. Great fun but it took most of the morning to manage to tax it though. Two people from the DVLA have informed me that even though the car was SVA'd in August 06 it still needs an MOT and that anyone who says differently will be taxing their cars illegally. Is this true as he said that once the SVA is carried out you must then get an MOT test straight away? Either way, I found a helpful post office assistant and got out for a drive in the end.
bob tatt

posted on 6/3/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
welcome and enjoy very helpfull on here and very knowledgable as well sure helped me out
muzchap

posted on 6/3/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim,

I think he's talking bol locks...

UNLESS - Kev had it MOT'd before the SVA and it went onto the system, if this has happened, then YES you do need an MOT every year...

But if not, then NO - not until the cars 3rd Registration Anniversary...

Cheers,

M

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

Timw

posted on 6/3/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
From what i understood he said because its on a Q plate it needs an MOT every year regardless. What confused me though was when i changed the discs the old one was issued by a DVLA office themselves 6 months ago. Not sure what to really go by.
ReMan

posted on 6/3/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
W*nkers the lot of them.
NO MOT needed after SVA.
Not immediatly, or after 1 or 3 years, even if it is on a Q plate.

The exception to this is that if it HAS been (uneccesarilly) MOT'd it's problably stuck in a computer cycle that says that it needs one every year onwards

Simon

posted on 6/3/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Tim,

First off, welcome to LB

Re your point, looks like my Q plated car was illegally taxed from 1st Jan this year

They've got me money, I've got the disc. I think you've sploken to the wrong people.

Here's a copy of a post I did on 17/1/08
(thread - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81269)

"Again, I took my DVLA RFL reminder to Maidstone DVLA to tax my car, and pointed out their delightful computer said I needed an MOT which was crap.

She agreed, said it was a bug as car has Q plate. Took my money and that was that.

SEE here from DVLA site:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022112

"When your vehicle needs testing
If a vehicle is registered with no prior use on the road, the MOT will be required three years after the date of registration. For example, a vehicle registered ‘from new’ on 1 April 2004 will require its MOT no later than 1 April 2007.

If a vehicle is used prior to registration, as would be the case with an import, the MOT will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a vehicle manufactured at any time in 2004 will require an MOT no later than 31 December 2007. There is no grace period given after these dates."

However, if as ReMan and Muzchap have said, once it's on the MOT system, it stays.

HTH

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 6/3/08 by Simon]

brynhamlet

posted on 7/3/08 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
When I went to tax my MK when it had been registered 6 months the post office demanded it needed an MOT because thats what the computer said. Went to Nottingham DVLA office two hours round trip. Bloke at the counter looked at the V5, said thats nonsense and 5 minutes later walked out with a tax disc.
The problem is the DVLA computer looks at the age of the donor, not the date of first registration.
My suggestion is throw the reminder away and take your V5 and insurance certificate straight to your nearest DVLA office.
At least if I retax my MK before the current tax runs out, theres some cracking roads to get there!!!

lotusmadandy

posted on 8/3/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Tim, when my indy passed its sva i was told to get it mot'd before registration by the examiner.now it is stuck on the system and will need an mot in july.It was registered in 2007 on an age related plate. A bit pi**ed off as it should not need mot until 2010, but nowt i can do about it now.
Andy.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.