Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: exhausted !
evo3500

posted on 8/3/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
exhausted !

Can anyone help clear up a few miths and answer a few questions on exhausts please.

1. For a BEC engine car max power at 9000rpm what engine speed will it be noise tested at for the SVA test. ?

2. Is it true that to quieten your exhaust if your baffle pipe has smaller perforation( more holes per SQ inch) this makes it quieter, or is the bigger the holes the Quieter ?

3. Lastly has anybody used a decible killer,
My exhaust baffle is 2 inch I/D with fibrglass wadding around the baffle and is repackable,does the wadding work better (ie silencing )if it loosley packed,or packed more densly.
I have a feeling it will be over the 101db on noise but not by much,so was thinking of putting the tapered cone type decibel killer insert into my baffle temporay,So do they work ?
Other alternative if this is correct, if I reduce the baffle I/D say to one inch will this make it quieter.
Also does anyone now of a make of high temperature silicone sealant that I can use to make the silencer gas tight when its re-assembled.

Well thats it now Im exhausted !

Any help advice appreciated

Thanks

Simon

matt_claydon

posted on 8/3/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
1 - It's tested at 75% of max power rpm, so in your case 6750 rpm.

[Edited on 8/3/08 by matt_claydon]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/3/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
To seal joints just use exhaust assembly paste,available in a tube from most motor factors.
And yes db's killers do work,they will knock around 5dbs off most cans,ideal for getting the car through sva,but they do sap a bit of power though,so loose it after.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

BenB

posted on 8/3/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Firegum is the usual stuff for making up exhausts... Available from places like Halfrauds (or on Ebay )

Fibreglass packing is a tricky one. Pack it too loosely and it won't do anything. Pack it too tightly and it can actually stop silencing- in effect it just turns the can into a straight through stubby.....

owelly

posted on 8/3/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I use bog (!!) standard silicone sealer for all my exhaust joints. As long as there are no bit holes or gaps to fill it works fine. Aparently, it gives off poisonous gasses with an exposure limit of just 4 hours so don't use it to seal up your oven if you intend to sleep in it.......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 8/3/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
1 - It's tested at 75% of max power rpm, so in your case 6750 rpm.

NOTE: where the engine max. power speed is not avaialble, the test may be carried out at 2/3 engine maximum design speed.

evo3500

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys a few things to think about and try.

cheers

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.