Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A leeking Asbesdos Cement roof help...
Bluemoon

posted on 10/3/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
A leeking Asbesdos Cement roof help...

It looks like I will have to move to a house with a rather naff single garage, the main problem is the roof leaks.. Also it has a dirt floor (some cheap concrete slabs would fix this though), and no power (my current garage seems like a palace now!)

As we will only be in the house for a few years I can't justify spending a large amount of money on the house (it's a tide house so any money spent will be lost)...

After reading:

asbestos

As the asbestos corrugated roof is 'hard encapsulated’ it seams I might be able to get away with brushing down the roof (to remove dust/moss etc) and using one of those cheap an nasty felixable roof sealants?

What do you guys think?

Dan

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/3/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't brush it unless it has been raining to dampen down the dust. How about some clear plastic stuff as that lets the heat and light in and doesn't cost much. Would be a good selling point in the future also.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 10/3/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I tried that, but the weight of the sealant eventually created more cracks. In the end it cost me less than 200 quid to have the roof replaced with fibre-cement. Cheap when you consider the hassle if you did it yourself of transporting and disposing of the old asbestos.
britishtrident

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
You might seal the leaks initially but big problem is water is drawn into any cracks - first frost it forms ice, ice expands splits the sheet.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ChrisW

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting link, thanks. My workshop is made entirely of this stuff, and I did worry a little how risky it was to be in there surrounded by asbestos!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
The blue and pink stuff is considered to be safe if it isn't damaged and in good repair. The problem with a leaky asbestos roof is that the rain will be carrying the stuff into the garage where it will dry out and become dust. That's bad!
I suggest painting the area with PVA to seal the dust and then a bitchumin based paint to stop the rain.
If it's a tied house, surely the owner is responsible for the health saefty and welfare of the occupants as well as the safe condition of the structure?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Bluemoon

posted on 10/3/08 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

Yep I think the only problem would be if you accidentally break the stuff. What I finds supprising is that you can still drill holes in the stuff with out problems according to the link... Having said that I work in with research on aerosols (particulates in the air) its surprisingly hard to generate an airborne aerosol from dust (brushing might do it mind)...

Any more ideas?

Cheers

Dan

mookaloid

posted on 10/3/08 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Would tin sheets just go over the top to waterproof it?

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

r3nuf

posted on 10/3/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,

I run a demolition and asbestos removal company in Suffolk, so come across this issue all the time.

Do not dry brush the roof or get up on the roof without proper access boards etc. I have seen so many people go through brittle sheets.

What can be done is to apply a canvas encapsulation with a plasticised paint encapsulant (an ET150 or similar) to cover the asbestos cement material. This has varying degrees of success. To be honest for the cost of doing that (or having it done) you would be as well to have it removed and disposed, especially if the sheets are deteriorating.

HTH

Gary

Drive Fast....Brake Late....Take Chances

coozer

posted on 10/3/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Knock it down with a big hammer and burn it!

Too much nanny state worries ruining this country.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.