Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1: The way ahead?
GeoffT

posted on 11/3/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
F1: The way ahead?

Could make for some interesting first corner incidents...

Reverse grids

Coose

posted on 11/3/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I have a better idea - treaded crossplies!

Spin 'er off Well...

02GF74

posted on 11/3/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
... then surely drivers would not push so hard in qualifying to ensure they end up at the front of the grid?

a better plan is leave as is and have a weighted starting grid position based on number of points scored with the leaders being pushed back down the grid.

GeoffT

posted on 11/3/08 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I would suspect your second option is what he has in mind - they'll still need to find a purpose for qualifying though, just to get the ticket revenue for the days before the race.....
smart51

posted on 11/3/08 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
The way to do it is like a carting day. Everyone starts one race of the season from the front, one from second place, one from 3rd place ... If you want to win you have to overtake.

Its true that F1 races are won in qualifying and in pit stop strategy. Thats not racing at all.

speedyxjs

posted on 11/3/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
... then surely drivers would not push so hard in qualifying to ensure they end up at the front of the grid?

I think you read it wrong:
"I would like to see the grids in reverse order of championship position,"
Problem is, it would mean no qualifying

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/3/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose

Totally right and do away with the wings, F1 is so utterly boring these days. I want to see cars drifting round the corners like in the old days, with real drivers not over paid playboys scared to get dirt on their designer gear. White knuckle peril that's what I want!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 11/3/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I say leave wings on but have NO electronics. Just car, engine and driver

caber

posted on 11/3/08 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
That used to be the way they did stock car racing! lots of incidents during the race. Much better way would be to limit the teams to a maximum £1million per year spend on the car for the season, that would get rid of a lot of the technology, radically reduce the number of engines and rebuilds, make them use hard wearing tyres and even consider fuel consumption! It would also open the field up to new entrants. It would cut Bernie and Max's pocket money a bit but I think it would take the Formula back to the exciting days of the 60s and 70s drivers would become more important and we would see some genuine competition!

Caber

DaveFJ

posted on 11/3/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

Totally right and do away with the wings, F1 is so utterly boring these days. I want to see cars drifting round the corners like in the old days, with real drivers not over paid playboys scared to get dirt on their designer gear. White knuckle peril that's what I want!

Did you watch the boy Lewis last year? some serious white knuckle driving there!
The kid must walk like John Wayne

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

speedyxjs

posted on 11/3/08 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
You could have an SVA like test so anyone could build a car, enter it into this test and become an F1 racer. Take caber's £1million budget idea and you have the foundations for a new book:
"How to build an F1 car for £1million and race it"

iank

posted on 11/3/08 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I have an even better idea. Get rid of Mosley

quote:
Head's view is largely at odds with that of FIA president Max Mosley, who has in the past likened the strategic complexity of Grands Prix to chess matches.

Mosley admits overtaking is currently a little bit too difficult, but he argues that if it became too easy it would lose its appeal.

If you like strategy either watch chess, or play wargames. Motor racing is about cars trying to go faster than one another around a circuit FFS.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

speedyxjs

posted on 11/3/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

Did you watch the boy Lewis last year? some serious white knuckle driving there!
The kid must walk like John Wayne

Apparently, lewes was 2 or 3 tenths faster last year with the TC switched off but ron wouldnt allow him to race with it off so im thinking he will be right up there this year

DaveFJ

posted on 11/3/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I have an even better idea. Get rid of Mosley

quote:
Head's view is largely at odds with that of FIA president Max Mosley, who has in the past likened the strategic complexity of Grands Prix to chess matches.

Mosley admits overtaking is currently a little bit too difficult, but he argues that if it became too easy it would lose its appeal.

If you like strategy either watch chess, or play wargames. Motor racing is about cars trying to go faster than one another around a circuit FFS.

More importantly get rid of Bernie! the man is a Ferrari loving nightmare...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/3/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is safe to say that in its current form, F1 racing is as sanitised and dismally dull as if it had been designed by some egg head boffins from NASA.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 11/3/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Why is bike racing so exciting to watch? Huge power (to weight) and (relatively) skinny tyres.

For F1 to become exciting again, double the power and halve the grip, sit back and enjoy

www.shock-factory.co.uk

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/3/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
What annoys me is when the do-gooders start saying about F1 going to be more dangerous this year because they have done away with Traction Control.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that driving at 220mph should be dangerous to a certain extent. Surely its a better way of finding the best driver with the biggest balls that way!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/3/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
like before, bin the spoilers, skinny crappy tyres, budget jobs from Makro that will make things interesting.

Failing that, how about landmines? And…

replace the current drivers with criminals! anyone comes out alive is free plus arm the crowd with bazookas.

Oh what fun

[Edited on 11/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

speedyxjs

posted on 11/3/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ ooh i like that idea but it could be a last man standing compitition. The winner goes free The perfect way to free up our prisons

[Edited on 11-3-08 by speedyxjs]

Guinness

posted on 11/3/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I think that F1 should be all about development.

They spend the money developing stuff that we eventually see the benefit from in our road cars: turbochargers, fuel injection, active suspension, abs, traction control, aerodynamics, ground effect, etc etc.

Then F1 went and spoiled the show by banning this stuff, claiming the cars were "too fast". What we want is fast. That's it. No crappy rules about tyre changes, mucking about with qualifying etc.

Just make the fastest car that will get round the track 50 times, without killing the driver or the spectators. If that means a 1000bhp turbo'd nitrous engine, with TC and active suspension, but with airbags and a full cage then so be it.

Let the designers design the best, let the engineers engineer the best, let the drivers drive as fast as they can. Then you'll have a real competition.

IMHO the only limitations on F1 should be that it uses pump fuel, has 4 black rubber tyres and 1 person at the wheel and runs on tarmac.

Even then I'm willing to negotiate on the 4 tyres rule (as I still have my Scalectrix Tyrell)!

If they can make an F1 car that can go at 400 mph round Silverstone or Monaco, that wouldn't kill the driver or any spectators / marshalls / pit crew then we may, just may end this "speed kills" thing that the govt is sticking us all with

All IMHO.

Mike

P.S. Bernie, if you're reading this, £10 million a year, a company jet and a flat in Monaco, and I could start next week! Cheers!

02GF74

posted on 11/3/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
stupid question ..... but why is it so hard to overtake?

Bob C

posted on 11/3/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with the "anything goes" camp - of course, F1, the pinnacle of motorsport, should be stuffed with high technology. I'd regulate via fuel (each car has 35 gallons of forecourt unleaded for the race) and make the cars narrower; otherwise, any tyres in any configuration, any aero, any engine etc. etc.
mucho overtaking with the bikes because they are narrower. Fuel limitation should promote efficiency developments for the rest of the planet to utilise.

smart51

posted on 11/3/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
stupid question ..... but why is it so hard to overtake?

You have about the same acceleration of the car in front. You enter a corner right on their tail. You both floor it along the straight but you can't catch him because he's equally as fast. You both brake as late and as hard as possible. You take the next corner right on his tail.

Either you have to wait for him to make a mistake or you have to provoke him into making a mistake or perhaps box him into one side of the track and behind a back marker to trap him.

If everyone drives well, though, it just turns into a parade.

iank

posted on 11/3/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Starting off in speed order (more or less) doesn't help.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting to read that F1 are going to have a boost button and aerodynamics to aid overtaking - just like CART/Champ cars have had for the past umpteen years!

Perhaps F1 can adopt a few more of their ideas - like marshals doing all they can to get cars back into a race - push starts (even electric starters), far fewer primadonnas, bumpier race tracks.

[Edited on 11/3/08 by David Jenkins]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.