Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ally countersink
MB

posted on 3/11/03 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ally countersink

I'm attaching some ally rounded strip to my car and am having problems with countersinking..... basically I keep on having to scrape out ally from the cutters as it gets clogged up. I've got about 20 holes to countersink and each half a countersink I need to scrape the countersink clean. It's taking ages!

Am I using the wrong tool???

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/11/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ally does tend to stick to any cutting tool unless you use loads of cutting oil, screwfix do a good aerosol one very cheap

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 4/11/03 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
Not only a suggestion...

Speak to any engineer used to cutting Aluminium years ago, and he swore by paraffin...

... and until it was realised that it was a REALLY dangerous fire hazard it was still used. It does give the best finish available, just use a little. But put you're Cig's out before you use it!!!

MB

posted on 4/11/03 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent - a supply of cutting oil makes a huge difference. It's doesn't make the problem go away, but at least I can cut a lot more metal before having to stop and clean up the cutter.

Thanks

MustangSix

posted on 4/11/03 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've used beeswax or soap with good results, as well.

[Edited on 5/11/03 by MustangSix]

flyingkiwi

posted on 7/11/03 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
What type of countersink are you using?how big are the holes and is the countersink sharp. I've found that even with cutting oil is you try to drill too quickly the result is a mess, plus a blunt bit will clog up quickly. I could be barking up the wrong tree here but are you drilling holes for rivets? If so a hand drill or a slow speed electric drill should help. Get a bit of offcut and try different speeds, or have the bit resharpened, it might help

[Edited on 7/11/03 by flyingkiwi]

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

DaveFJ

posted on 7/11/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'll second that - I would personnally ONLY ever countersink using a hand brace and a 'proper' countersink tool....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

paulf

posted on 9/11/03 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
WD 40 is a very good cutting fluid for allumium and easier to use and more likely to be to hand. We even used it in machine shops in preference to cutting oil as its much cleaner.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Speak to any engineer used to cutting Aluminium years ago, and he swore by paraffin...

... and until it was realised that it was a REALLY dangerous fire hazard it was still used. It does give the best finish available, just use a little. But put you're Cig's out before you use it!!!

Alan B

posted on 9/11/03 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, agreed....WD40 is used in every shop I've ever been in over here for machining ally....usually bought in the gallon tins and put in a hand squirter.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 9/11/03 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I use a cheap version of WD called AC90 when drilling ali or cutting it with the nibbler and it keeps things clean. I used a countersink designed for woodwork on mine, as it was HSS it worked o.k. It was a bit with a plastic handle, not drill mounted, just use it like a valve grinding stick.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 11/11/03 at 02:42 AM Reply With Quote
& it's almost as flammable!!!

quote:

WD 40 is a very good cutting fluid for allumium and easier to use and more likely to be to hand. We even used it in machine shops in preference to cutting oil as its much cleaner.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.