Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making a bell housing
DIY Si

posted on 14/3/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Making a bell housing

Evening knowledgeable folk of locost land. I have a question for you. Or more accurately some guidance. First, some background. As some of you may know I'm looking at building an Epona with the Alfa V6. However, I'm still pondering what box to put on the back of it. The type 9 is the most obvious choice as supply is plentiful and there are upgrades aplenty too. A little research has also brought the S2000 box to mind. If I were to use the type 9 I'd probably go for a recon unit to help handle the extra torque of the V6 and that would be about £300. Which is pretty much what I can get a used S2000 box for. Top speeds and diff ratios will be the same, as 5th and 6th are near identical, at 0.82:1 for the type 9 and 0.81:1 for the S2000. Using a 3.62 sierra diff, this gives a potential top speed of 152 mph, and a nice cruising rpm of 3,000 at 70.
Now, the actual question(s)!
How would I actually go about hooking an Alfa V6 to the S2000 box? I doubt a bell housing is available, so would it be a case of trying to make a adaptor plate, or would I be better off trying to make a "proper" bell housing? If I decided to make a bell housing is there a simple way of going about it?

Edited to add that I'd like to have the 6 speed as it should help give that little something extra to what I hope to make a fairly classy car.

[Edited on 14/3/08 by DIY Si]

Fatgadget

posted on 14/3/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
This guy hooked up a BMW Getrag box to a Suzuki Swift motor.
Lookey here.

Myke 2463

posted on 14/3/08 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bellhousings

Practical Perforance Car mag did an artical on build your own bellhousing about 18 months ago. perhaps somebody can photo copy or scan for you.

Mike

vinny1275

posted on 14/3/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think (and I'm willing to be corrected), but the Honda Type-R engines rotate the opposite way round (anti clockwise instead of clockwise) to other car engines (I think this is true for the Honda Civic, and I think the S2000 as well), so driving an s2000 gearbox with a "normal" engine will probably give you trouble. This is why you don't see the civic type-r motors attached to type 9s in Sevens....

Definitely worth checking out before you buy one tho

HTH

Vince

jacko

posted on 14/3/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Think the s2000 goes the same way as ford engines
I think Trev Borg on here made a bell housing for a v6 alfa 2 type 9 have a look in his photos
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 14/3/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ I thought the S2000 engine spun the other way so surely the gearbox would too?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Coose

posted on 14/3/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Think the s2000 goes the same way as ford engines
I think Trev Borg on here made a bell housing for a v6 alfa 2 type 9 have a look in his photos
Jacko

The man who made the Alfa/T9 bell housing is owelly. I doubt he'd want/have the time to make another, though Trev was talking about getting a batch cast, though it would depend on demand....

Spin 'er off Well...

mark chandler

posted on 14/3/08 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
If both boxes are ali then cut the housing off the alfa box and weld on to the ford box.

Okay its not quite that easy as you need to get the bits milled down and aligned but its not that hard either.

Adpator plates are also fine.

C10CoryM

posted on 15/3/08 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind the input shaft runout needs to be under 0.010" (0.005" prefered for powerfull engines). You can get alignment bolts for bellhousings, but they won't help if your trans is crooked. Meaning if the rear of the trans is a little to the right you will pound out bearings and eventually even gears.
Not trying to shoot you down. I just know that building to those specs is a little too tight for me (and my wallet).

Adapters out of flat plate may be the easiest bet.
Cheers.
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotty g

posted on 15/3/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
i'm at least 95% surre that the s2000 engine runs in the "normal" direction, the same engine used in the Civic type R's.
DIY Si

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
The S2000 spins in the "correct" way, so no issues there, although thanks for being aware of it. The Alfa has an ally bell housing as does the S2000, so should be possible to cut and shut them together. That sounds like it could well be the easiest option, although getting it 100% right could be tricky, or expensive.
Cheers all, some good food for thought here.

Hammerhead

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon fibre bellhousing do a search

Syd Bridge

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
Carbon fibre bellhousing do a search

Been doing them since 1989, but you better have a thick wallet.

Kevlar and some other exotics for blowup protection in drag cars as well. All for the USA.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 15/3/08 by Syd Bridge]

DIY Si

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Syd, just out of curiosity, as I already know I can't afford it, but just how thick would a wallet have to be?
MikeRJ

posted on 15/3/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
i'm at least 95% surre that the s2000 engine runs in the "normal" direction, the same engine used in the Civic type R's.

It's not the same engine, but both the F20C (S2000) and K20A (Civic) turn in the conventional clockwise direction.

scotty g

posted on 16/3/08 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, i didn't know that. cheers dude.
NS Dev

posted on 16/3/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
a chap on here runs an alfa v6 on a type 9, other than trev borg, based in scotland and I've forgotten his username.

His was a VERY neat job I must say, used the alfa box cut down, milled flat and then redrilled and bored to suit the type 9 box.

Definitely the easiest solution and cleverly allows the use of the alfa clutch release mech as well.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 16/3/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Here ya go, twas Johnmor, hope he doesn't mind me posting a pic of his handiwork:

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

DIY Si

posted on 16/3/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that, although I've already spoken to him and owelly about it, since owelly made a type 9-Alfa bell housing from scratch. If it turns out to be too much bother, then I'll just go that route rather than going the S2000 route, although I won't know how difficult it'll be until I have the engine and box sat in front of me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.