Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: turbo pinto, what's that off?
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/3/08 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
turbo pinto, what's that off?

Would someone in the know (or Dale whose engine this is) tell me where this turbo set up would have originated? Do you know where to get one or even just the manifold? Also could sidedaft Webbers be fed by a turbo? I’m allergic to high concentrations of copper wire and printed circuit boards so not interested in one of these Mega squirty things. Rescued attachment turbo.jpg
Rescued attachment turbo.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ditchlewis

posted on 20/3/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall that in the 80's the American's used to turbo their 2.3ltr version of the pinto.

it was in the 87 thunderbird turbo and the mustang turbo.

could be off one of those?

turbo technics also used to do a turbo kit for the pinto.

yes a carb can be used in the suck through mode (MG metro Turbo and thunderbird turbo).

lotus also used special carbs for the lotus esprit turbo which operated in the Blow through mode.

all this was in the late 80's early 90's before mass produced electronics in cars, so the parts will be old and difficult to find
ditch

[Edited on 20/3/08 by ditchlewis]

Benzine

posted on 20/3/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't there a special turbo weber? Or enclose the webers in an airbox, only problem is you'd need to remove a panel to tune it so you can't tune it while it's running. There's a couple of chaps with supercharged pintos on a capri forum, one is using twin webers, can't remember which forum though
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lippoman

posted on 20/3/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC the 48/50DCO were ready for blow-through turbo right from the box and there were turbokits for the 40/45DCOE. These contained plastic floats and other items to make them withstand the pressures.
MikeRJ

posted on 20/3/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
yes a carb can be used in the suck through mode (MG metro Turbo and thunderbird turbo).

Metro Turbo used a special SU in blow through configuration.

The carbs that Lotus used were Dellortos specifically designed for blow through turbo operation.

ibakes

posted on 20/3/08 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Have a nose here, Clickey used to have pinto conversions.

think you need to log in to view

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/3/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

caber

posted on 20/3/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
There was a thread on the other night about converting Bike Carbs for blow through,The linkthere took you to a site where bikers have been turboing and the plumbing required looks ferocious!

Caber

aerosam

posted on 20/3/08 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a turbo technics conversion to me. It was produced in limited numbers and now complete kits change hands for a fortune.

You can make a blow through turbo setup with pretty much any carb, you simply have to enclose it in an air tight box as far as I am aware. However you need to have some boost controlled electronic ignition retarder (Such as an EMS6) or you will end up with pre-ignition and holes in your pistons.

Volvorsport

posted on 20/3/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
if thats dales engine its not a pinto .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

DarrenW

posted on 20/3/08 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
It doesnt look totally brit pinto to me.

C10CoryM

posted on 21/3/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
That is what is known as a 2.3L OHC or lima engine. Its bigger than what you guys call pinto engines (although its often called a pinto engine here). They came factory Turbo charged in some mustangs and some thunderbirds in the 80s-90s.
Very sturdy engine and can handle a LOT of power for a 4-banger but the cost is the weight. They are HEAVY.
I was planning on running one, but then figured if I was going to be that heavy I may as well go with something more powerful I may like corners, but I have to be able to keep up to my friends in the straights too.
Cheers.

Vid of a 2.3L drag car. Note he still has stock heads, and bottom end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLeNgupJ_4

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

NS Dev

posted on 21/3/08 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Lima engine made in brazil, fitted to eighties USA sierra XR4i equivalent the merkur XR4ti, 2.3 litre turbo very similar to pinto

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.