Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel level guage not working.
DaveFJ

posted on 21/3/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
fuel level guage not working.

I have been trying to work out why my fuel gauge isn't working and have had no success - so i turn once again to you fine gentlemen!

It's a Haneline - Teleflex gauge using the sender that was supplied with the gauge.

I have checked the sender and earth is good, sender connector has continuity to the gauge. the ressistance between the earth and sender terminals (on the sender) is currently 98ohms with about 20 litres in the tank.

at the other end I have 4 connectors....

+12v for light connected to 'L'
earth - showing continuity to earth
+12v from ignition side connected to 'I' which is showing 12v when on (when not running)
a single wire which has continutiy back to the sender connected to 'S'

with the ignition on the guage light works but that is all the needle doesn't even flicker.

if i measure the resistance between 'S' and 'I' (with all wores disconnected) I see 100ohms.

If i try to measure resistance between 'S' and the earth terminal i get weird behaviour. I see open circuit then it flashes to about 300 ohms then back to open circuit again. this repeats every few seconds.

tried putting 12v and 3v across the 'I' and 'S' terminals - not a flicker...

well there you go. thats all the info i can think of... any ideas???

cheers

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Schrodinger

posted on 21/3/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
When you say you have a good earth on the sender where have you checked this?
Between the sender and the tank or the sender and chassis?
Although you may have continuity between the sender and the guage have you checked the resistance (should be basically 0)

[Edited on 21/3/08 by Schrodinger]

Keith
Aviemore

rusty nuts

posted on 22/3/08 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
As already suggested check that the tank/sender is earthed. I had problems with my Greengauges fuel gauge when I built the car which I traced down to the fuel sender instructions showing incorrect assembly. The pot/float arm worked back to front, Reassembling with the float/pot upside down according to the instructions got the gauge working at least in the correct direction , a little tweaking now has it accurate. May be of help?
alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: an increasingly large carbon footprint!

posted on 22/3/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Probably already thought of this, but I had exactly the same problem as you, in the end turned out to be that the float wasnt bouyant enough and there was too much resistance on the arm, so it would just stay stuck at the bottom. If you see what I mean.

Alex.

If it ain't broke- it soon will be!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.