Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with starter motor
brynhamlet

posted on 24/3/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Help with starter motor

My engine is a modified 1600 X-flow

The starter motor is of the type without a soleoid mounted on the starter motor. When its removed from the engine it spins freely using jump leads from the battery. Replace it and it might manage two or three attemps at starting the engine and then refuses.

Three ways to resolve it comes to me.

1. Try jump leads directly onto starter motor without using soleniod to prove thats not at fault

2. Replace starter motor with a recon one

3. Replace it with the more modern ones with the solenoid as part of the starter motor, if they will fit.

Please can anybody advise of the cheapest way to sort this

Ta now

rusty nuts

posted on 24/3/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
You have an inertia starter Which IIRC may have 9 OR possibly 10 teeth as Ford modified them to reduce jamming? The starter with the solonoid attached is more reliable but uses a different number of teeth on the flywheel (130???). Check the number of teeth you have before replacing anything and also check that you have decent /battery/ connections and earth. Trying as suggested with jump leads connected directly to started would test it I would have thought. Isolate the ignition, if starter works better then timing is overadvanced
britishtrident

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Before doing anything else try retarding the ignition 5 to 10 degrees.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: an increasingly large carbon footprint!

posted on 24/3/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Had exactly the same problem on my modified Xflow, would barely turn it over, especially when the engine was hot. I tried loads of stuff trying to sort it, but eventually was advised to buy a high torque starter. Took a gamble and spent £150ish i think from rally design, and it was worth every penny. Car now starts as soon as I press the button, every single time!

If it ain't broke- it soon will be!

britishtrident

posted on 25/3/08 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexdj125
Had exactly the same problem on my modified Xflow, would barely turn it over, especially when the engine was hot. I tried loads of stuff trying to sort it, but eventually was advised to buy a high torque starter. Took a gamble and spent £150ish i think from rally design, and it was worth every penny. Car now starts as soon as I press the button, every single time!

What happens is the distributor has too much static advance when the ignition is set for max power higher up the rpm range.
At starting speed when warm the mixture is getting fired too early before TDC and the pressure rises tries to drive the piston back down the bore.
This is made worse if dizzy has a lot of miles under its belt and the mechanism worn springs are stretched a bit.

Way round it is an easy mod to give the distributor more high rpm centrafugal advance and set the distributer with less static advance.

[Edited on 25/3/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.