Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rev limiter
alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: an increasingly large carbon footprint!

posted on 26/3/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Rev limiter

Hi all,

After using the sound of valve bounce as an indication to change gear for far too long now, I've decided a rev limiter is in order! I have looked at a few on ebay etc, but they all seem to be either new and un-used, or far more complex than I need, and so more than I want to pay. Just wondering if anyone had an old battered one, dont mind the condition or whether its got a wiring diagram etc. As long as it works, or can be made to work fairly easily, and most importantly, super cheap as I have already spent most of my student loan!
oh and it will be on a 1600 xflow using a lumeition.

Thanks, Alex.

If it ain't broke- it soon will be!

MikeR

posted on 26/3/08 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
how about making your own??

Sure i've seen the plans on the web somewhere.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 26/3/08 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Why not fit just fit a shift light to tell you when to change gear,better than hitting the rev limiter and loosing power just before you change gear each time.
Jon Ison

posted on 26/3/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
You should find a cheapo that will do the job but................

You don't really want to be waiting for a rev limiter to cut in before you change gear, if you have never had one before (on a car that accelerates as quickly as yours will) you will quickly find hitting the limiter is like hitting a brick wall so much so it will throw your head forward, it will impede progress not help it. you will very very rarely hear anyone hit a limiter on a race track, if they do (and I have) its driver error.

A rev limiter is there to protect the engine, not an aid to gear changes, what you need is either shift lights or keep an eye on the rev counter if you have one and don't take this the wrong way, learn to drive with your ears and seat of your pants.

All IMHO of course.

alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: an increasingly large carbon footprint!

posted on 26/3/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Never thought of making my own, could be an idea! I have two shift lights but one is obscured slightly by the wheel, and the other isnt very bright! Also I'm scared of my throttle jamming open or something!
Also, didn't mean I would be using it to help change gear, just as a precaution for when I'm all caught up in the excitement of it all and not concentrating on where my revs are haha!

[Edited on 26/3/08 by alexdj125]

If it ain't broke- it soon will be!

NeilP

posted on 26/3/08 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
For £20 this was too easy...

Thread Linky

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/3/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexdj125
Never thought of making my own, could be an idea! I have two shift lights but one is obscured slightly by the wheel, and the other isnt very bright!

Why not simply fit / reposition your current shift lights then?? I have used a row of 5 3mm LED's from Maplins which cost me 19p each or something stupid, resistors are pennies also and there are a huge range of sizes and colours available so start with a smallish one and if it isnt bright enough go for a bigger / brighter one (or change the resistor to make it brighter up to the maximum power)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.