Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nose Render.
Doug68

posted on 15/4/08 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
Nose Render.

Here's the latest attempt at starting a body for the thing.
This version is a fair bit different from the one shown in avtar, frankly I find doing body design a real PITA and if I could hand it off to someone who do a good job of it (for free (yeah right)) then I would.

Obviously this isn't finished, particularly there are cut outs missing to let air out from various places.

The rest of my current progress is posted on my web page (see sig) Rescued attachment Copy of test.jpg
Rescued attachment Copy of test.jpg

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/4/08 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
i like it a lot

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Benonymous

posted on 15/4/08 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon getting someone else to design your bodywork has "disaster" written all over it! The only way would be to give them carte blanch over it and not interfere I'd find it impossible to properly convey my ideas on something as subjective as that. It looks like you're doing a reasonable job anyway. Are you using SW?

BTW is your windscreen going to be flat?

Doug68

posted on 15/4/08 at 03:34 AM Reply With Quote
Windscreen: Yep flat as a pancake or Kansas, which is actually flatter than a pancake.

I'm using Solid Edge BTW.

[Edited on 15/4/08 by Doug68]

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Dick Bear

posted on 15/4/08 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
Doug,

I like it but are you sure it can be made as drawn? I wonder about the width of the "fenders". To me they look too narrow to accommodate the right/left turning motion of the front wheels. Also I can't tell from the rendering what is happening at the windshield end of the scoops. Is there a release point for the air flowing up the channels?

I'm sure you have this all worked out but based upon the drawing, I had to ask.

Dick Bear

www.marketpointproductions.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doug68

posted on 15/4/08 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Dick,

You are quite right the wheels don't fit under the guards when turned. The inner fender will be cut away to allow this and allow air out thats been forced up the lower 'ramp'.

It's meat to be similar to this:

It's by no means finished yet, I'm probably only really about 30% through the work this part will need. If I don't throw it away and start again for the umpteenth time.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Delinquent

posted on 15/4/08 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's a hell of an improvement over the one in the av' - would certainly take this one further. I do like the wheel cut outs, not like anything else I've seen on the road.

I'd drop the height of the nose cone section a tad personally. It's going to be interesting to see how you incorporate this with the rear end!

ETA - know what you mean about the bodywork - the pic in my AV <---- is something like revision 34 (can't remember exact number) and if I'm honest, the last few nights I've been working on v.35 (got a new wacom tablet and couldn't think of what to play with it on.... oops)

[Edited on 15/4/08 by Delinquent]

Alan B

posted on 15/4/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I did the exposed wheels look early on in my Meerkat development....I liked it at the time..not sure why I changed it...

Alan

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 15/4/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I like the look of the front a lot but what about lights?

Keith
Aviemore

Doug68

posted on 15/4/08 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
It's by no means finished yet, I'm probably only really about 30% through the work this part will need.

StuartBJ

posted on 16/4/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Who builds this kind of thing/nosecone? I need one
ANDYSHORT

posted on 16/4/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
nose section

what about modifying an existing available body?
FUORISERIE

posted on 19/4/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
Here's the latest attempt at starting a body for the thing.
This version is a fair bit different from the one shown in avtar, frankly I find doing body design a real PITA and if I could hand it off to someone who do a good job of it (for free (yeah right)) then I would.

Obviously this isn't finished, particularly there are cut outs missing to let air out from various places.

The rest of my current progress is posted on my web page (see sig)

have you thought about changing the front screen? how about a Stratos replica screen, it would almost matche the GTP look you're trying to work on.......

The flat screen works well for 4x4, but not for a sportscar...........unless it's a lamborghini Countach or Diablo.

Try to rework your design around a new screen, and you ill see a huge change in your final design.

Italo

Triton

posted on 19/4/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Look at supersport racers, think ADR fella has moulds for an old 70's Lola body but i might have dreamt that...

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Doug68

posted on 20/4/08 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FUORISERIE

The rest of my current progress is posted on my web page (see sig)

have you thought about changing the front screen? how about a Stratos replica screen, it would almost matche the GTP look you're trying to work on.......

The flat screen works well for 4x4, but not for a sportscar...........unless it's a lamborghini Countach or Diablo.

Try to rework your design around a new screen, and you ill see a huge change in your final design.

Italo

The flat screen is there for a number of practical reasons, like being able to get it made locally, ease of replacement etc.
Also it acts as a structural component to the car and flatter was better for that.

I could of gone for a locally available slightly curved part but my awkward nature came through so I said bugger it I'll go for a completely flat one

Here's some flat screen inspiration...

Also the problem practically with flat screens is what goes on with air spilling spilling off the edges and separation that occurs at the roof. If I can design something practical in air management terms to reduce these effects I will, this'll hide some of the nature of the flat screen as well I sure. If you look at the latest LMP coupes they're going back to flatter center sections and quite sharp transitions to the sides.

BTW the resemblance the car will have to an LMP is not 100% intentional LMP coupes are as far as I can tell the only closed cars where body shape is properly open and aero-design has advanced as a result.

Somethings I plan to do such as the open inner fenders are specifically banned now from LMP's but clearly worked whilst they were allowed.

Once I get a shape that looks basically 'right' then I'll have a go at some CFD to see if the results are hideous or not.

I guess in general I'm taking and Engineering rather than Art based approach to the whole subject.

[Edited on 20/4/08 by Doug68]

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

FUORISERIE

posted on 21/4/08 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Doug,

You're right in saying that you're taking an engineering approach to the project, but art plays a big part in designing a car, otherwise we would have cars looking like refrigerators....

Your flat glass approach is a real challenge design wise, but I'm sure you will eventually make the best of it.

looking forward to your next renders.

[Edited on 21/4/08 by FUORISERIE]

Delinquent

posted on 22/4/08 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FUORISERIE
Doug,

You're right in saying that you're taking an engineering approach to the project, but art plays a big part in designing a car, otherwise we would have cars looking like refrigerators....

Your flat glass approach is a real challenge design wise, but I'm sure you will eventually make the best of it.

looking forward to your next renders.

[Edited on 21/4/08 by FUORISERIE]

Have to admit I really am not keen on the flat screen element of Dougs design, but knowing the hair-pulling frustration of trying to find a production curved screen that ticks all the right boxes, I can understand why!!

I recently started re-working the bodywork on mine (again!) through boredom, and just keep getting drawn back to the fact that the reason I'm not 100% happy with the design is I simply don't like compromises I've had to make to use the glass available!

Doug68

posted on 30/4/08 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Better but still no cigar yet... Rescued attachment Mk III.jpg
Rescued attachment Mk III.jpg

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Tralfaz

posted on 30/4/08 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

My poor start to an idea....

Doug68

posted on 30/4/08 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
I like it. The raised front wing is an idea I've thought of in the past the.
I've thought though if not done right particuarly if the wing is too close to the lower bodywork it could be counter productive.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Doug68

posted on 30/4/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think that this is a better view of it.
It's come to my mind that the key to getting a flat screen to look good is minimizing the difference in the angular transition between the bodywork and the base of the windscreen. Rescued attachment Mk III 02 medium.jpg
Rescued attachment Mk III 02 medium.jpg

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.