New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Woops - Bentley wipes out 3 x Policecars
02GF74

posted on 15/4/08 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Woops - Bentley wipes out 3 x Policecars

top that then!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 15/4/08 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
"The Bentley crashed at 0235 BST on the A35 three miles away at Bransgore, injuring three occupants."

At least there was some good news then - i do hope they werent too uninjured!!!

[Edited on 15/4/08 by Paul TigerB6]

worX

posted on 15/4/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at that photo and reading between the lines, I reckon that BM took the Bentley out

Steve

iank

posted on 15/4/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
So the Bentley crashed, and the three police cars crashed in the excitement?
Or did a boxing strategy go badly wrong?

Not very much information in that article, except the scumbags didn't actually knock the coppers off the road.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

02GF74

posted on 15/4/08 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
seems rather wasteful all round.

surely the technology exists for a small drone aircraft to follow the car and when the occupants get out, fire wires that apply 10,000 V.

nick205

posted on 15/4/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
seems rather wasteful all round.

surely the technology exists for a small drone aircraft to follow the car and when the occupants get out, fire wires that apply 10,000 V.

why bother with stun gun tactics, just get on and shoot the buggers with mini rockets

Dangle_kt

posted on 15/4/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'd prefer small flesh eating maggots be introduced to there bodies and let time pass.......

munch munch scumbag!

[Edited on 15/4/08 by Dangle_kt]

iank

posted on 15/4/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I'd prefer small flesh eating maggots be introduced to there bodies and let time pass.......

munch munch scumbag!

[Edited on 15/4/08 by Dangle_kt]

Been watching Hellboy too much?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just shows what a bad and dangerous idea it is to chase cars on public roads. About time they stopped this nonsense altogether, every time I see this kind of stuff on the telly the police only manage to make the situation far worse, many times the car they end up having a high speed chase wasn't even speeding at the start.

Don't see why I should be put at risk cos some copper wants an adrenalin rush.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 15/4/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Linky for anyone not seen it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7347797.stm

Daniel

Paul TigerB6

posted on 15/4/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Just shows what a bad and dangerous idea it is to chase cars on public roads. About time they stopped this nonsense altogether, every time I see this kind of stuff on the telly the police only manage to make the situation far worse, many times the car they end up having a high speed chase wasn't even speeding at the start.

Don't see why I should be put at risk cos some copper wants an adrenalin rush.

Maybe you would if it was your house that had been burgled and your £100,000 car that had been stolen. Cant let the scumbags just get away with it. Start banned the police from chasing anyone and they would never catch a single criminal - crime would end up far worse than it is now!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
In some states in the US they are no longer chasing cars due to the risk to the public after some very bad crashes. They now simply track the movement of car either by air or by patrols relaying sightings. Considering a little Cessna plane cruses at about 110mph and can view a huge area and is practically undetectable by the criminal (hence they are less likely to take risks), the justification for car chases gets a little thin. No burglary or stolen car can justify the risk of someone being killed. This society needs to just grow up.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 15/4/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Mr whippy,

While I agree in your setimenents about the risks involved. Is it not sending out the wrong signal to the crooks ( do this sort of crime we are not going to chase you or stop you so you are unlikley to get caught ).

I also expect that the keys must have been stolen buy the crooks. Possibly edangering there life of the owner a freind of mine who woke up at 2am in the morning with a crook holding a knife riffling through his trouser pockets after the keys of his RS4 outside.

you are probably right that its not worth a life but how else do you catch the criminals and protect peoples hard earned possesions ?

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
The use of unmarked cars that do not panic suspects, radioing up ahead to set stingers or simply tracking the movement of the car through sightings are all tried and tested methods.

The whole premise of a police chase is that at some point the car being chased will be forced to stop, usually by that car crashing. It is a farcical stunt only fit for the big screen and not real life, no possessions; even the crown jewels are worth one person’s life. Some of the crashes I’ve seen (just look on you-tube) have been utterly enormous and involving completely innocent people who have lost their life just because a car failed to stop for an officer.

Agriv8

posted on 15/4/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The use of unmarked cars that do not panic suspects, radioing up ahead to set stingers or simply tracking the movement of the car through sightings are all tried and tested methods.

The whole premise of a police chase is that at some point the car being chased will be forced to stop, usually by that car crashing. It is a farcical stunt only fit for the big screen and not real life, no possessions; even the crown jewels are worth one person’s life. Some of the crashes I’ve seen (just look on you-tube) have been utterly enormous and involving completely innocent people who have lost their life just because a car failed to stop for an officer.

Point taken.

Tough unsure if our Local police have the man power to do that but thats a money issue which as every thing else these days has a bearing on the Service we receive.

reaching targets / ticking boxses
VS
doing a job / comon sence / providing a service

surly Tehnology must have moved on a version of 'tracker' that can be sent a signal to drop the car into limp home mode ( should I patent it now )

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

RK

posted on 15/4/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy: "The Voice of Reason" - again!
Paul TigerB6

posted on 15/4/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

All nice in theory - shame it wouldnt work in practice. If all the police had to do was chase car theives then maybe yeah - they could all drive around in unmarked cars and set up stingers to stop them. Maybe they could have enough aeroplanes to track them from the air which again yes is a better solution than chasing them from the ground. Fact is though that planes really dont work for chases through towns and the criminals know it. They are also very expensive and just not enough of them to do the job so the argument falls down really. My area has one plane for the whole of Cheshire and while thats a pretty big area its nowhere near enough to cover Cheshire effectively.

So sorry - i dont see that the argument stands up. I'm sure the police would be doing these things now if it was a viable option given the limited resources the police have.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I question whether the police have the right to put the lives of members of the public at risk. They are only allowed to carry gun in very certain circumstances and use them in public at a last resort, but a gun has a tiny fraction of the lethal power of a speeding car.

It is simply not acceptable to use this method to apprehend criminals and if the infrastructure is not there then time it was.

I ask you how much does a web cam cost to set up? There is no reason at all that they could not be installed on the roads to allow the tracking of suspect vehicles on the vast majority of routes. We now have mobile video phones which means that web cams could be totally stand alone. The technology is already here, just not the willing to change. Unfortunately it will obviously take more deaths to force this issue.

muzchap

posted on 15/4/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
If I was a car thief and a plane was chasing me or helicopter - just head for an airfield or airport - they won't get in the exclusion zone.

Fair point about a life not being worth a car, but nature has to take it's course sometimes and sometimes with 'horrible' consequences.

Sadly, it's the misconception of the human race that 'permanence' exists, we realise we live in an uncontrollable environment and try to exert control - unfortunately a fallacy.

That said - if parents were more responsible and if smacking and discipline was re-instilled in the yooouf of today - then I doubt these problems would exist in the magnitude you are talking about, leading to a far greater reduction in 'innocent' deaths.

I for one would support national conscription and the bringing of 'caning' back into schools.

The costs of implementing discipline early, far outweigh the costs of dealing with the fallout later.

Even if I was in the 'right' my parents would side with the teachers and odd occasion local bobby (broken window after football match etc) - it wasn't strictly fair, but you made dam sure it wouldn't happen again - a kind of self policing society - because of FEAR OF CONSEQUENCE - now, there's no CONSEQUENCES so people do what they want....

Wow - a long rant - it must be lunch!

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

Paul TigerB6

posted on 15/4/08 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the police putting the public in danger or the criminals?? If they are allowed an open season to just get away with speeding off knowing they wont get chased then how many more idiots are going to see it as an excuse to just race off. How many normally honest motorists are going to see it as a way of tryingto get out of a ticket by speeding off?? Simply fact is that the police are probably doing the best they can at present with one arm tied behind their backs by the government / courts being so soft on criminals.

My uncle is a traffic cop and i've heard first hand just how impossible his job is at times. There are loads of rules on police pursuits which it seems the hardened criminals know just as well as the police in order to stop them chasing them.

Maybe the government's idea of every car having a tracker isnt such a bad idea!! Link it to a secure way of disabling the car and it would be an easy way to stop chases. Problem is it would have the usual crowd screaming about their human rights being infringed.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have not objections to a traker or a system that disabled cars, but suspect that criminals will simply chose cars that don't have one or remove them.

Griffo

posted on 15/4/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Is it the police putting the public in danger or the criminals?? If they are allowed an open season to just get away with speeding off knowing they wont get chased then how many more idiots are going to see it as an excuse to just race off. How many normally honest motorists are going to see it as a way of tryingto get out of a ticket by speeding off?? Simply fact is that the police are probably doing the best they can at present with one arm tied behind their backs by the government / courts being so soft on criminals.

My uncle is a traffic cop and i've heard first hand just how impossible his job is at times. There are loads of rules on police pursuits which it seems the hardened criminals know just as well as the police in order to stop them chasing them.

Maybe the government's idea of every car having a tracker isnt such a bad idea!! Link it to a secure way of disabling the car and it would be an easy way to stop chases. Problem is it would have the usual crowd screaming about their human rights being infringed.

I think the problem with every car having a tracker is that ultimately it would end up with you getting a letter through the door demanding £100 (or what ever the going rate is now) every single time you broke the speed limit. And then there is Tax based on millage. Thats just ludicrous.

Rob Palin

posted on 15/4/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Griffo
And then there is Tax based on millage. Thats just ludicrous.

Absolutely, especially as we already effectively pay this through fuel duty & the VAT on fuel anyway. A bit OT though, sorry.

JoelP

posted on 15/4/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
it is the criminal who chooses to run that puts the public at risk. The sentance if caught should reflect this. There needs to be a deterent to put people off crime, and also crims need to know its unlikely they will get away with it. Now a chase isnt the ideal solution but its all there is for now.

I would support the every car with a tracker idea, and also a MASSIVE penalty for interference with it. Maybe similar to a black box device.

One day we will have to accept that speeding is no longer acceptable, much like nearly everyone accepts drink driving is no on and most dont use their phones.

cossiebri

posted on 15/4/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just heard about this on the radio on the way home from work.... two 17 year old girls and a 15 year old boy
prob get off with an asbo (to show off to their mates,thats all they seem to be good for)

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.