Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting over powder coat???
colt_mivec

posted on 20/4/08 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Painting over powder coat???

After having a frame powder coated can i paint over it to get the desired colour as they dont do R6 blue in powder coat

But id like the frame powder coated for corrosion resistance

[Edited on 20/4/08 by colt_mivec]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/4/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Have you already had the chassis powder coated at all?? If not then stick with the paint approach only - far cheaper than spending £150ish on powder coating and then more on paint

Just need to buy the right paint then for corossion resistance. Try this thread here

[Edited on 20/4/08 by Paul TigerB6]

blakep82

posted on 20/4/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
if its already powder coated i'd say etch primer

if not, zinc primer and paint

my opinion though, it could be wrong. probably is

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

matt.c

posted on 20/4/08 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ as said above its the etch primer that does the job.^^^^^^

RazMan

posted on 21/4/08 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
You might need to rub it down with a fine wet/dry first though - powder coating is damn slippery stuff for painting.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 21/4/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ive no real experince with seven chassis, but i would be with paul that i would not bother having it powder coated if your planing to paint of the powder anyway.
- Powder coating is good, especially if you can managed not to damage it or make any alterations to the chassis, but its not the only way to get corosion free steel.

I lot of people rant about POR15 being good, although ive never used it, and dont really know anything about it.

Coming from boats i would be temped to go down the route ive used on them.
- Shot blast, two part blast primer, epoxy aluminum or epoxy zinc, then two part polyurethane. All of which can be sprayed or brushed, although primers better worked in anyway.

Only other option is to go down the route of letting in rust for a few months, and starting with rust converter. But that takes time!

Daniel

Daniel

[Edited on 21/4/08 by dhutch]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.