Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA at Birmingham
farmer.palmer

posted on 22/4/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
SVA at Birmingham

Hello

I have my SVA test at Brum next week, has anybody used this test centre?

Are there any particular points the testers there are hot on?

cheers

james

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

NeilP

posted on 22/4/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
David and Paul are at Brum still I believe. Paul who did me is a thorough gent and really wanted the car to pass - firm but v. fair I'd say...

You won't get any leeway on any of the hard targets but plenty of time to try and correct and they seem to usually err on your side if they can't see something and ask you if it's as they want it to be

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

snippy

posted on 22/4/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I did my SVA test there in June 2006. My 1st build and only failed on 3 points, steering self centering, 1 x radius edge and speedo reading incorrectly. The tester I had was very friendly and pro, he allowed me to fix an oil leak that sprung from my oil pressure switch during the test! He went for a cup of tea giving me time to fix it. Top bloke, sadly he left after my test to becomea a VOSA trainer. Rest of the guys seemed friendly too. My retest was carried out by the site manager! Good Luck with the test. Take plenty of tools with you, spares, build photo`s, receipts etc and a mate in a support car to carry everything!
stevec

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Had mine there, David was the tester. Nice guy I thought, very fair and genuinely wants you to pass, but present your car well and pay attention to detail.
Good luck.
Steve.

zxrlocost

posted on 23/4/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
do all my cars there

all the brake lines need bracketing to the chassis where they join the braided hoses

so your front brake lines to braided cant be joined just by a hole in the bodywork and a nut

they need an actual bracket going to the chassis

hth

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

tks

posted on 14/5/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
do all my cars there

all the brake lines need bracketing to the chassis where they join the braided hoses

so your front brake lines to braided cant be joined just by a hole in the bodywork and a nut

they need an actual bracket going to the chassis

hth

chris

Does this also apply if the bodywork is alu sheet and its rigid connected to the chasis???

I have done exactly as you state above...

the nearest chasis tube is 40mm away from the alloy sheet. So it will mean that the braided hose needs to be passed through the alloy sheet...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.