Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 200hp
Stuart_B

posted on 27/4/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
200hp

hi all, right i have a chance to get a 200hp Johnson outboard motor, which is a 2.5litre v6 motor.

a wanted to no is there any chance of getting it in my mk, and mounted to a gearbox?

plus it is a freebie.

thanks

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

RazMan

posted on 27/4/08 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
The cooling system might be a challenge - is it a 4 stroke?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart_B

posted on 27/4/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
cooling i would pick up an inlet and an outlet, and put it through the rad.

it is 2 stroke.

stuart

RazMan

posted on 27/4/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Like this?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 27/4/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
It would certainly make a unique 7, not seen any two stroke ones yet!

How old is the engine? High power outboards are notoriously expensive to rebuild, so if it's worn it's probably a non-starter (in both senses of the word!).

[Edited on 27/4/08 by MikeRJ]

RazMan

posted on 27/4/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Found some specs....

E-TEC 200 | V6 - Specifications
PDF version
Get Acrobat Reader
Engine: Loop charged V-6 60° E-TEC Direct Injection Bore (mm): 91 mm Stroke (mm): 66 mm Displacement (cc): 2589 cc Starting: Electric Trim Method: FasTrakTM Power Trim and Tilt Propshaft kilowatts (HP): 200 HP (149 kw) @ 5350 RPM Full Throttle Operating
Range (RPM): 4850-5850 Gear Ratio: 1.85:1 Fuel Induction: E-TEC Direct Fuel Injection w/stratified low RPM combustion mode Alternator: Variable Voltage Computer Controlled 133 Amp / 1800 watt output w/ regulator Cooling: Pressure and Temperature Controlled Water Cooled Steering: Remote Limited Warranty: 3 Years Non-Declining Compliance: EPA 2006 / CARB 3 STAR / European Union 2006 Colours: Blue / White Length: 508 mm or 635 mm Dry Weight: 190 kg or 194 kg

Sounds like it might be an interesting project!

Cheers,
Raz

Stuart_B

posted on 27/4/08 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
it is a old one, it has a history with it.

stuart

Stuart_B

posted on 27/4/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
forgot to say that it has stood for a few years, but it would still would start, i would of throught it is a Johnson.

stuart

RazMan

posted on 27/4/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
A two stroke V6 would certainly be quite unique but somehow I doubt that you will be able to mate it to a gearbox without some extensive (and expensive) machining.

Cheers,
Raz

Stuart_B

posted on 27/4/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
i think i might have it, and put it with the v6 150 Johnson i have in the grage.Lol

and look for a cheap chassis and have a go build it. once the car is done.

stuart

matt_claydon

posted on 27/4/08 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
You're going to struggle with emissions on a two-stroke, even the basic visible smoke test.

Probably a really crappy power/torque curve for a car too. Boats only really care about performance at WOT.

Certainly would be different though!

Stuart_B

posted on 27/4/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
i can tell you that is does go some. and emmsions would be an issue, take the plugs caps of 4 cylinders.Lol

owelly

posted on 27/4/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I would doubt that the splines in the crank would take much torque. They are very small compared to the input shaft on a gearbox. The cooling impellor is mounted on top of the outboard gearbox so you'd have to fit an external pump to the engine. The main problem will be fitting an exhaust that will work enough to silence the two stroke but not sap all the power away. And then you have the fuel economy. A 200hp engine will drink 20gallons an hour.....

[Edited on 27/4/08 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

jollygreengiant

posted on 27/4/08 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Some years ago I was diving a local river. Under a bridge I found a boat prop,I thought I have that it might be useful. Trouble was that it was still attached to the 18hp evinrude, but with no engine cover. So I pulled it out and took it home. It was full of silt so I stripped it. put on new gaskets and filled the leg with the appropriate oil. Refitted the throttle butterfly plate (the screws had gone awol, so I can only assume that the engine stopped and because they could not get it going again, [with no butterfly it stood no chance of running] and dumped the negine claiming that it had 'fallen overboard) connected the fuel line pulled the starter cord and of it went. sweet as a nut, even used the original plugs and ignition pack.

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart_B
forgot to say that it has stood for a few years, but it would still would start, i would of throught it is a Johnson.

stuart

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Dangle_kt

posted on 27/4/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
If you had it as a middy project for the future you could maybe use a chain drive.

Imagine it would make a great hovercraft motor too.

akumabito

posted on 27/4/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
And then you have the fuel economy. A 200hp engine will drink 20gallons an hour.....

Ooohh! Don't get me started on that! I used to work for a tour company that used a big offshore speedboat with 2x 200Hp Yamaha outboards to ferry passengers through a marine national park.. (insert rolleyes smiley here). Anyhow, during a day we'd go about 2 hours on 80% throttle, and about 2 more hours at 40%, plus some maneuvering and whatnot.. we'd average about 500 liters of fuel per day. Mind you - this was with fairly modern 4-stroke engines!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.