Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IRS Worth the effort?
gsand

posted on 21/11/03 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
IRS Worth the effort?

More thinking done regarding my project, I will be using my now un-original (if only i kept it too myself, then i could have kept my pride, lol) idea of using a car differential and a north-south bike engine. I pondered on the use of a Live axle, rather than IRS, mainly because of its simplicity and the fact that my car will mainly be a street car, rarely competing in track days (too expensive). I'm just curious if IRS is really worth the extra effort for a fast-street car. Live-axles seem to handle fine on Locosts and the like...

4st Insanity

Maybee i should start wearing a Welding mask.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 21/11/03 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ah but.......(always a but..)

All your engine/gearbox would have to move with it...huge unsprung weight......

Or actually have U/J s and a prop shaft......erm...then that's a regular BEC......

I am raining on your parade a lot aren't I?

(nearly said pissing on your chips, but that's rude...)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tudor (Ted) Miron

posted on 21/11/03 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
My personal point of view is any form of solid axle (dedion inclouded) is a NO NO. I agree that it's fool proof etc., etc. But it does compromise way too much perfomance.
Why don't Live axle lovers use their live axles at the front? They say live axle is simple and neat and IRS is complicated and easy to do wrong... We'll it's not much different rear than front so if it's OK to do it at front end we should take this risk on rear axle as well

Ted

PS: Unsprung weight, Huge Jacking force, DEPOENDANCY all go hand by hand with live axle. I don't even want to listen about those storyes of good camber control -fallacy.
Sorry for being so emotional

locoboy

posted on 21/11/03 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Live axle i would say is better for track as it is smoother than normal road surfaces, i have a live axle and it is rough on anything other than dual carriage way/ motorway and some "A" roads.

You said it is primarily for road use the i would definately sway in the direction of IRS.

ATB
Locoboy

ned

posted on 21/11/03 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
lets not drag it all up again, but a properly setup IRS is better than a live axle, even on track, especially if you use the kerbs or want to change the camber...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

gsand

posted on 22/11/03 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Ah but.......(always a but..)

All your engine/gearbox would have to move with it...huge unsprung weight......

That is exaclty what i thought about 2 minutes after i posted this and i was in the shower. Forgot to edit the post . that post made me look stoopid

BTW it was something like midnight when i posted it lol, the brain deosnt work too well then.

4st Insanity

gsand

posted on 22/11/03 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
o and i forgot

i will DEFINATELLY be using IRS.

half on the topic, i drew up plans for my car... wheelbase: 2600mm, track 1600mm with plenty of room for my lanky old legs

4st Insanity

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.