Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre choice 13 inch.
paulf

posted on 22/11/03 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre choice 13 inch.

I now only need to fit tyres to my car to finish it but am having problems with limited choice of 13 inch tyres. I need 185 70 series as i have a 3.89 diff and so dont want to go to 60series as the gearing would be to low and speedo calibration incorrect.
There seems to be very little choice of decent tyres in this size and i am now thinking of fitting budget grade tyres which are avaiable and then changing to 14inch wheels when on the road .
I have been told some budget tyres are a soft compound so will still grip but wear out quicker than decent make tyres. Does anyone know if this is correct? And has anyone used any that they can recomend?
Paul.

theconrodkid

posted on 22/11/03 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
if you are going to change wheels soon you might as well get some cheapies or part worns,its really only in the wet that you notice the difference if its for road use

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Surrey Dave

posted on 22/11/03 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Budget Tyres

I've got budget 185/ 60/ 13's on my Locost (Kumho's I think), they've been on since 2000 and show no sign of wearing out, but then i probably only do 1500 miles a year.

I had a 185/70/13 fitted to a wheel and tried it on the car but it looked a bit tall ,like the budget 'Caterham Classic!).

The gearing with the 60's and a 3.89 diff was around 20mph per 1000 revs in top , i've since put a 3.54 diff in for better cruising ,with result that I can just about get to 60 in 2nd , and the car has virtually the same top speed in 5th or 4th!!!!!!.

But a 1800 cvh is not very revvy.

paulf

posted on 22/11/03 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I may be able to use the 60 series then as i have a 5 speed box and 20mph per 1000 is not to bad, as the crossflow will rev to 5500 at least.
My only concern then is the speedo gearing as I am using a 1000rev per mile head and found it would over read by 2percent with 70 series tyres so may be to far over for SVA with 60 series.
I have been offered Kumho tyres in 70 profile, do you find that they grip ok?
Paul.
[quoteThe gearing with the 60's and a 3.89 diff was around 20mph per 1000 revs in top , i've since put a 3.54 diff in for better cruising ,with result that I can just about get to 60 in 2nd , and the car has virtually the same top speed in 5th or 4th!!!!!!.

But a 1800 cvh is not very revvy.

Surrey Dave

posted on 22/11/03 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not complaining about the grip although no doubt sticky Yokohama's would give more, but because of the lightwieght and low centre of gravity these cars offer good grip/cornering ability.

My 1800 cvh will go to 6000 ish but not in top gear , 'cos of the massive wind resistance of these cars as the speed increases.

In the old days!!!!! you used to buy different nylon speedo drive gears for Ford gearboxes to allow for different wheels and axles, is this not possible now, as the 5 speed Sierra box was used with a lot of different axle ratios........

paulf

posted on 22/11/03 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I was aware of the fact that there are different gears but not what choice there is, I found a discussion on Blatchat this afternoon and it appears there is a choice of 22 23 24 and 25 teeth on the plastic gear and also a choice of two worm drive gears. I now think that if i fit a 25 tooth gear my speedo will be within 1 percentwith 60 series tyres. Just got to work out how to remove the gear without removing the gearbox as space is a bit tight.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
In the old days!!!!! you used to buy different nylon speedo drive gears for Ford gearboxes to allow for different wheels and axles, is this not possible now, as the 5 speed Sierra box was used with a lot of different axle ratios........

steve m

posted on 22/11/03 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I also have a speedo problem after changing my rocket box, for another one, my speedo is wrong. I seem to over read by at least 20 mph (at 70mph)

If I can change my speedo gearing do I go up down or what, or can I use the nylon gearing out of the old gearbox ???

steve

paulf

posted on 23/11/03 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Steve you would need to fit a larger nylon gear to get the spedo to read slower,im still not sure of wich driver gear i have fitted either as there are apparently 2 of these also.
I am going to take it for sVA and then if it fails select the gear to correct the speedo error hopefully.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I seem to over read by at least 20 mph (at 70mph)

If I can change my speedo gearing do I go up down or what, or can I use the nylon gearing out of the old gearbox ???

steve

Fast Westie

posted on 24/11/03 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Use Yoko A21rs available from George Polly in 185/70x13 for not a lot of money

The car in front is a Westfield

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.