Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Well, it is a mid-engine
Dick Bear

posted on 2/5/08 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
Well, it is a mid-engine

I realize this is a bit O.T. but didn’t know where else to present the post. Considering the interest and positions taken on monocoque, aluminum and other non-traditional construction I’m sure this will be of interest to some. Thank God it’s an engineering graduate who is directing the project so no one will feel compelled to debate that aspect of the build.

Although I question the described seating arrangement that features the drivers’ legs protruding between the upper and lower bones and extending beyond the front wheels (ouch!) and the lack of a real roll bar leaves me fearful. Beyond that, the design, the creative use of materials and the time line are impressive in my opinion.

What do you think?

http://www.joeharmondesign.com/

Dick Bear

www.marketpointproductions.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 2/5/08 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
This bloke is obviously talented.

Plywood chassis are not new and do work (early Marcos, Vortex), and I can see the suspension being OK on a circuit. But for road use?

Overall a brilliant project, AND it looks good too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 2/5/08 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
I think its been posted before but what a machine

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

balidey

posted on 2/5/08 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, amazing project.

I heard there were problems with the engine though, it wooden go

Also, is the gearbox an automatic or a ...... wait for it........... stick shift

[Edited on 2/5/08 by balidey]

02GF74

posted on 2/5/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Not very reliable - in the first 50 yds it broak down tree times.

indykid

posted on 2/5/08 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Bear
Thank God it’s an engineering graduate who is directing the project so no one will feel compelled to debate that aspect of the build.

Dick Bear

i'm doing an engineering degree and i'm genuinely fearful that i may one day use something that some of the cabbages on my course have designed.

as for the roll hoop, it has a huge laminated ply hoop. if the body can stand the suspension loads in use, i'm sure the hoop will stand being upside down......unless it slides down the road upside down.....then it might get sanded away i'm not sure i'd want to have a crash in it either way.

tom

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/5/08 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thank God it’s an engineering graduate who is directing the project so no one will feel compelled to debate that aspect of the build.

Dick Bear

You serious?! I have worked with some right clueless engineering graduates in my time I can tell you, couldn't have relied on them to design a spanner far less a car.

Graduates are like newly passed drivers – Their so sure that they’ve learnt all there is to know, unaware that experience is a better teacher and that they in fact know squat

[Edited on 2/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

MikeRJ

posted on 2/5/08 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Some very talented guys and an interesting project. I have to wonder how much the final car will weigh, compared to a more traditional space frame/alloy panel construction.
Dangle_kt

posted on 2/5/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Next time I see a kit car advert with "built by an engineer" then I'll know its no more credible as a plus than the old " first to see will buy" statement.

Anyone else PINE for a go in that car?

*fnah fnah*

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

Dick Bear

You serious?! I have worked with some right clueless engineering graduates in my time I can tell you, couldn't have relied on them to design a spanner far less a car.

Graduates are like newly passed drivers – Their so sure that they’ve learnt all there is to know, unaware that experience is a better teacher and that they in fact know squat

[Edited on 2/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

sprouts-car

posted on 2/5/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Found a video for the engine in this thing.

Really well put together bit on animation

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.