Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi coupe?
alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: an increasingly large carbon footprint!

posted on 3/5/08 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Audi coupe?

Considering buying an audi coupe next week, probably a 1994 model, only a 2.0L 16v as thats all I can get insured on. I've read plenty on the internet about them, but just thought I'd see if anyone had any first hand experience!

Thanks, Alex

If it ain't broke- it soon will be!

philw

posted on 3/5/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexdj125
Considering buying an audi coupe next week, probably a 1994 model, only a 2.0L 16v as thats all I can get insured on. I've read plenty on the internet about them, but just thought I'd see if anyone had any first hand experience!

Thanks, Alex

I had a 92 on a J for a while, my opinion is to heavy, under powered and worst of all front wheel drive and dated looks wise, just in MHO, surely there must be something else that takes your fancy?

alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 3/5/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
other options were a bmw 323 or 325 but gave my insurance company a call and they wont touch me on one because they are rear wheel drive!. I cant really think of much else for around the same price, dont want a calibra, don't want a cheap alfa, cant get insured on a 200sx. was considering a mk2 golf but i've already had two and they weren't terribly impressive. I'm stumped!

Alex.

mackei23b

posted on 3/5/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 1995 Honda Prelude, worth a look?

Cheers

Ian

shades

posted on 3/5/08 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 93 on an L a few years ago. The Coupe is a great car comfy, well built, but I would avoid the 16V as the engine is horrible, Its 140bhp but sounded terrible and didnt like to be rev'd. Id have an 8 valve or go for a 5 cylinder (a bit older).

Watch for leaky fuel lines front to back, there are 3 and they rust, rear brake calipers sease , and front wish bone bushes wear.

Thanks
Adrian

alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 3/5/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice! hadn't thought of a prelude, I'll see what my insurance people say in the morning!

Alex

DarrenW

posted on 3/5/08 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Id rather get an E30 320 or 318is than the coupe. Had an early one a while back - worst car ive ever owned. 325's are great but as you say maybe a strain on the wallet unless you can get limited mileage owners club policy.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/5/08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
yuk why don't you buy a proper car, like second hand kit car - say a cobra for the summer.

audi's...the cars that style forgot, just big jelly moulds on wheels or exactly what happens when all your interested in is wind tunnel tests, that's why the japs came along and kicked their a$$.

how many audi drivers did I upset that time??...that many! superb

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 3/5/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
audi's...the cars that style forgot, just big jelly moulds on wheels or exactly what happens when all your interested in is wind tunnel tests, that's why the japs came along and kicked their a$$. how many audi drivers did I upset that time??...that many! superb

As a seasoned Audi afficianodo I'm unconcerned. You just don't appreciate what your missing - true engineering aptitude...

I've had two series 2 coupes the same as the "UR Quattro" shape. Great machines - any quattro model is far superior to the crappy 2wd. I would concur that they are heavy. Then I picked up a 90 Quattro 20v sport. I don't know why I sold it. 5 cyl 20v engine was a peach with an exhaust note to die for. I've retired a bit into a A6 avant Q land barge but it's crazy aptitude for lazy cruising at 70+ has me hooked. There's nothing wrong with a bit of solidity (read lardiness).

Cheers

zilspeed

posted on 4/5/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Audis of this era are fabulous bits of kit.

Mine was the very boring Audi 80 1.9 TDI, but I still mourn its passing at the hands of my niece. She killed a fiesta with it, Audi had a scratched bonnet. Insurance wrote it off and it was all a done deal before I got to pounce on the salvage.

I would have another in a minute.

martyn_16v

posted on 4/5/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades
but I would avoid the 16V as the engine is horrible, Its 140bhp but sounded terrible and didnt like to be rev'd. Id have an 8 valve

Are you plain barking? You think the 16v doesn't rev so you want the positively tractor-like (in comparison) 8v?

The 16v is a good engine, not quite in the same league as the XE or a few of the japanese 2.0 16v's but still can hold it's own. I think it's probably underpowered when trying to lug around the lardy Audi but they're absolute screamers in a lighter car like a Golf. Willingness to rev certainly isn't a problem, are you sure yours wasn't just borked?

I would have put my VW 16v engine in the Indy if it hadn't been a mission finding a suitable gearbox...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.