Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question on buying a donor in UK for EU
Gergely

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Question on buying a donor in UK for EU

Hi guys,
I have a friend who wants to buy a car in the UK to be used as a donor for his build (not locost and not seven, it is a Nissan Skyline that he wants the engine from to use in an old Datsun).
His concern is that he buys the car in the UK, drives it back to Hungary and takes it apart, but will UK authorities look for the car?
In other words: What would be the process to drive the car to Hungary on its own wheels, but immediately once home, scrap it. Is there a process in which he can then send back the registration plate and documents and officially declare the car as scrapped? Or should he bother at all? Should he just bring it home and scrap it? Obviously he doesn't want to register it in Hungary...
Do you have any ideas? How does it work in the UK? Thanks!
Gergely

[Edited on 6/5/08 by Gergely]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Best bet would be to fill the V5 in as scrapped and send it to DVLA once in Hungary.

My brother once had to scrap his car in France and never had any comeback.

Stu

minitici

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
There is a section of the V5C registration document for "Notification of Permanent Export". Just sign and date and return to the DVLA.
Gergely

posted on 6/5/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, just so that I understand, not being familiar with it all...

He buys the car, I assume that his name gets registered as the owner of the car. he drives to Hungary, fills the relevant section of the V5 document, signs it, puts the date there and sends it to the DVLA?

What happens to the registration plate? He gets to keep it? Or sends it back, too?

Is this correct?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 6/5/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
they wont want the plates back,hang them on the wall and photocopy everything till its all done just in case someone wants to see them.best to get the car registered in his name over there before he chops it up as well

[Edited on 6/5/08 by theconrodkid]

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

andyps

posted on 6/5/08 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you would need to register it in Hungary. The person you buy it from will want an address for the new owner and I am not sure how the DVLA work if it is not a UK address but it can't be the first time it has happened. Just declare it either scrapped or permanently exported and you will be fine. Scrapping in the UK is straightforward and I don't see why it should be different if the car is not here - they don't really need to know that. Once scrapped there will be no requests to pay road tax as the car no longer exists as far as the DVLA are concerned.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Gergely

posted on 7/5/08 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for all the answers. It seems that once home he needs to inform DVLA and that's it. Great.

Now another question: What does he need when buying the car? He goes there with the money, agrees with the seller, then what exactly happens step by step? Can someone please explain? Also how long it takes and how much it costs... Remember, the car will be exported from the UK for scrapping.
Thanks!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.