Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: english axle half shaft bearings
02GF74

posted on 8/5/08 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
english axle half shaft bearings

Hmmm, seems I am going to have to replace the half shaft bearings as they are weeping oil (a job I cannot say I am looking forward to).

I have used copious amounts of the red hermetite (sp?) when fitting the bearings into the axle casing, whcih is tight fit, as it should be, so am guessing it is the seals themselves that are gone.

I assume there is no way of bodging the seal bit?

So firstly clever peeps, what is the going rate for the bearings and collars?

I take it the bearing is a reasonably tight fit but can be gotten into place using a hammer?

The collar needs to be heated up to red heat - is that possible using a BBQ + blow torch or should I look to getting these done by someone who has gas welding kit?

Any precautions needed so that the heat from the collar does not melt the plastic seal?

What happens if the collar gets stuck part way down?

+ other tips welcome so I can judge if I fit the collars myself.

x_flow57

posted on 8/5/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have just done mine. Bearing kits were £29 each. I used universal tool2 (angry grinder) to remove the old and a long tube and universal tool1 (big hammer) to replace both bearing and collar at the same time, making sure not to bash on the outer part of the bearing (and don't forget to put the bolt on bearing retainer on 1st doohhh).

Nick

<<<<<<<< For Sale

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Use a length of scaffolding tube to drift the bearing home, then use the same tool for the collar.

The bearing is best heated in a pan of oil, I use a camping stove.

To heat the collar a lower temperature wide heating flame is better than the sharp ultra hot oxy-acetylene flame.
Just use a blow lamp ( a couple of fire bricks help) or camping stove or even a domestic cooker or disposable BBQ.

Make sure the bearing is fitted the correct way round.

Also before doing the job make sure the axle isn't overfilled and the breather is clear.
Oil level must be checked with the axle warm and perfectly level and any overfill allowed to drain off.

[Edited on 8/5/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

x_flow57

posted on 8/5/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that heating the bearing to the sort of temperature needed to make any difference would damage the built in oil seals.

<<<<For Sale

[Edited on 8/5/08 by x_flow57]

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Heating the bearings to 130c or so won't trouble the seals and makes a big difference to how easily the bearings go on. The bearing is in only very light interference on the shaft. Of course if you can put the shafts in a chest freeze over night it also helps
thomas4age

posted on 11/5/08 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
in my case it was getting the half shafts out that was the main problem!

we made a HUGE slide hammer out of an old brake drum a piece of tube and a 9 kilo piece of scaffold tube, and then it even took half an hour to get them out.

I could get the bearing on the shaft with the piece of scaffold tube gently tapping with a big hammer.
I heated up the collars in the wood burner, not till cherry red though, took quite some force to slam them home but got there in the end.

I however didn't notice the bearing have a direction of fitment.... never had problems though. 16k km's and driving well.

Grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.