Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: really stupid question
adam1985

posted on 15/5/08 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
really stupid question

am building a locost with just the chris gibbs book and you guys as help but i aint exactly sure when i should be using washers when there not needed and when to use nyloc bolts or just normal bolts any help would be thaankful adam
Triton

posted on 15/5/08 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Best to use washers to save bolt head and nut from chewing up parts also best to use nylocs but only really supposed to be used once...

Have fun....
Cheers,
Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/5/08 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
That’s not a stupid question at all.

Washers are used to spread the load over the parts and to stop the surface being damaged when you turn the nut. Select the correct type for the material to be clamped, for example on glassfiber or aluminium parts use as large as you can get (called penny or repair washers). On the suspension use thicker ones so that they don't distort due to the higher loads. You will also most likely need them to pack out things like the coilovers basically using them as heavy shims. If possible use stainless fasteners on all but the high tensile ones and make sure you use the correct strength grade checking what’s written on top of the bolt like 8.8, good quality nuts will have this stamped on at least one face, assume any that are not marked to be rubbish. Personally I'd use nylocks on everything except bolting on the stereo and the exhaust system (brass nuts on stainless bolts are great here). Buy the fasteners on line or at an industrial supplier, not somewhere like B&Q. Even using stainless ones it should not be more than £50-£80 for the whole lot.

If you’re not at any point sure what to use ask on this site, we know everything

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabs

posted on 16/5/08 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
I agree not B&Q, unless you have money to throw away, a single 12mm x 60mm bolt is over a £1 whereas from supplier you can buy a box of 50 for about £9
mad4x4

posted on 16/5/08 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Agree

Go to a bolt supplier, and buy arange of sizes + washers + Nuts & Nylocks- may cost u £100 + for a load. say sizes M6, M8, M10 & M12. & specify 8.8 Grade. For things smaller people like machinemart or screwfix do selection boxes.

Cost might be large for bolts but once you have em the ammount of time it will save and cost it will save will be unbelievable.

Have a look on Ebay aswell there is a guy that sells K'Bin rack systems cheaply. Buy one of these and mount it in the shed/wall and you will be able to lay you hands on the bolts rather than scrabble about in a big tub.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

brynhamlet

posted on 16/5/08 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
For nuts and bolts etc. try Tifosi. web site is Tifosi-Devon, I think. If he hasn't got it he will try to source it for you.
I would use stainless for everything, cos it stays looking nice.
I prefer locking washers to lock nuts, cos when your trying to tighten up nuts, you can wind them up to almost tight you can do it with your fingers, especially usefull in difficult to get to places and they are re-usable.
For short locking nuts you can get aircaft ones, I think from Burton-Power

rayward

posted on 16/5/08 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
just worth noting, don;t use stainless bolts for anything structural (i.e brakes/suspension)

Ray

BenB

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
B+Q typically don't have the one you need anyway

but they're useful for the occasional "if only I had one more ......" type situation...

smart51

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
B&Q are open late and at weekends. You pay for the privelage, but if you need a nut / bolt / washer / length of tube, grinder disc etc. to finish a job...
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/5/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
one other point about stainless is that some grades (especially low quality stainless) are extremely prone to galling were the nut and bolt start basically fuse and tear each others threads to bits. Never try to bolt up a sticking thread, it will just get worse till they fuse solid. Copper slip helps prevent this but is not 100% effective and WD40 is utterly useless. This is why I use the brass nuts on the exhaust system as the vibration can over time make them gall too, to stop the brass nuts slackening just use two tightened against each other.

[Edited on 16/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

martyn_16v

posted on 16/5/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
B&Q are open late and at weekends. You pay for the privelage, but if you need a nut / bolt / washer / length of tube, grinder disc etc. to finish a job...

..but their hardware (nuts bolts etc) is mostly ungraded i.e. basically made of cheese, so don't use them for anything safety critical, or anything that's going to be more than mildly stressed.

jwallbank

posted on 16/5/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Triton "......also best to use nylocs but only really supposed to be used once."

However, if like me, you need to assemble & disassemble several times then buy some ordinary ones as well - cheap as you can get, use them so that you can dismantle and re-assemble as many times as you need then when you are sure that the job is completed replace with the nyloc ones.

John W

Litemoth

posted on 16/5/08 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I think the rule of thumb with washers is, if in doubt, use one.

At the risk of repeating my learned colleagues.....
The washer usually fits under the turning element (usually the nut) to prevent it 'picking up' or biting into the material being clamped. It also distibuites the clamping force more evenly.
Nyloc nuts are good but don't be afraid to use 'Loctite' on standard nuts. It's a thread-locking liquid and comes in a wide variety of strengths and applications (some allow dis-assembly and some are for life)
Use good quality, plated, fasteners with at least an 8:8 (10:9 are ok too) embossed on the head. This is an indicator of the bolt's tensile strength.

RazMan

posted on 16/5/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Get a tub of Copperslip and put a small dollop on everything during assembly - you will thank me in a few years.

Oh and I think Mr W means copper nuts on the exhaust - they don't sieze when heated.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Blue Fox

posted on 16/5/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I was told several years ago you should never use a spring washer with a nyloc as it works against the nyloc and can cause it to come undone!!
adithorp

posted on 16/5/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Wippy could well use brass nuts. Exhaust manifolds all had brass nuts when I started. Now I'd use copper exhaust locknuts.

Before you go into an industiral fastner shop, make sure you know the correct name for what you want and the difference between a screw and a bolt (nylocks are nuts, not bolts for instance). They tend to take the wee if not in those places!

adrian

David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
(nylocks are nuts, not bolts for instance).

Nylok Bolts

Just a pedant taking the wee!

[Edited on 16/5/08 by David Jenkins]

Peteff

posted on 16/5/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
(nylocks are nuts, not bolts for instance).

Nylok Bolts

Just a pedant taking the wee!

[Edited on 16/5/08 by David Jenkins]

Nyloc nuts are the ones with a nylon insert at the domed end . Nylok is different and has the nylon embedded in the thread of either the nut or the bolt.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mr henderson

posted on 16/5/08 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
difference between a screw and a bolt (nylocks are nuts, not bolts for instance). They tend to take the wee if not in those places!

adrian

That'll be machine screw of course

adithorp

posted on 16/5/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've just re-read my post and I'msorry if it sounded like I was being pedantic. It wasn't meant that way.

However the guys that work in nut and bolt shops always seem to be, They'll bring exactly what you ask for, which is never what you actually want. Then they'll tut and roll thier eyes and slope off for (exactly) what you've now explained you want and then...Some time later you might get what you want!

Just dont ask for 4 candles!

adrian

David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry - I was only yanking your chain!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.