Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MT75 rear discs and LSD
Doc

posted on 27/11/03 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
MT75 rear discs and LSD

Did Ford produce a sierra model with rear disc brakes, the MT75 gearbox and a limited slip diff?

If not, which models had rear discs? (apart from Cosworths)

Hellfire

posted on 28/11/03 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey,

Best option is XR4x4 which uses the 4x4 centre transmission splitter after the MT75 box. Also, fitted with LSD and disc's sometimes with ABS.

XR4i also had Disc's LSD - and I believe MT75

IIRC so did Cosworth have LSD/disc's not too sure about MT75 box.

Basically I think that concludes the LSD route.

Course the other option would be to try the Granada - which some believe to be the better option due to a higher ration differential - quicker acceleration.

blueshift

posted on 28/11/03 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
We used a 4x4 estate, the 4x4 centre diff is kind of integral with the gearbox, so you couldn't just detach it and run the gearbox by itself rwd. Perhaps the internals are the same and you'd just need a different bellhousing.. I wouldn't know.
ned

posted on 28/11/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
late abs sierra's were rear discs and mt75, though not lsd's.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 28/11/03 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
The (type 9) 4x4 gearbox is a lot of hassle. Tried to make a v6 RWD box out of a 4x4 one and a 1.8 CVH box but gave up and bought a Capri v6 unit instead. I expect the MT75 is the same.

Not sure which cars have MT75 and LSD. I think it's a case of looking as I've definatly seen both XR4i and XR4x4 with type 9 although they will be a source of LSDs and rear discs. Big problem with Granada is that they have 5 stud rear hubs and, contrary to what some people say, my experience is that the hubs are not interchangable with Sierra items (the wheel bearing is bigger on the Granny). Also, mine didn't have LSD after all, even tho it was a Scorpio.

Bit of a minefield I'm afraid. Best bet IMHO is the XR4i or failing that, XR4x4 with Capri gearbox.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackie

posted on 28/11/03 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, 2.8 XR4x4s have Type9s with 4wd transfer case and LSD and the (later) 2.9s and 2.0s had an MT75 with a similar case bolted to it afaik.
Could you not just get an XR4x4 rear end and then get an MT75 (or Type9 for that matter) from another (rwd) car?

kingr

posted on 28/11/03 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
You'll need to use two different donors - the only Sierras to have LSDs are 4x4s, XR4x4s and Cosworths - obviously the only one of them that came in 2wd varieties is the Cosworth, which ran a Borg-Warner T5, not an MT75.

Note: XR4i does not have an LSD, unbelievably.

I'm fairly certain that all LSD rear ends are disc braked, in addition to that virtually any sierra may have discs brakes on an open diff - if it's got ABS, I believe it will have rear discs, and I suspect that ABS could be specified as an option on any and all sierras, possibly only after a particular date though.

Kingr

ned

posted on 28/11/03 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have been told that some late dohc sierra's had lsd's (the 3.92 ones) though have never had this confirmed. this would in theory be the indeal donor, mt75, rear discs, and lsd.

if anyone can confirm/unconfirm this i would be inteerested to know. in which cae where do the 3.92 lsd's in 7" form come from (they go every now and again on the westfield forum.)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Doc

posted on 29/11/03 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm just planning my build at the moment and I was just wondering if all the parts I wanted could be found on one donor. Its not a problem to source parts from different donors but it would be less hassle to just break one car and not have to hunt round for more bits.

Graceland

posted on 11/1/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
MT75 sierras as follows

2.0i DOHC 2wd
2.0i DOHC 4x4
2.9i V6 4x4
Cosworth 4x4

NOTE - the Granada 2.9i V6 4x4 used the MT75 gearbox. also, the rare manual RWD 2.9i Granada used the MT75 gearbox, but these are very rare. the 24V cosworth V6 granada/scorpio was never fitted with a manual box.

disk sierras as follows

2.0i DOHC with abs
2.0i DOHC Mk2 XR4i
2.0i DOHC XR4x4
2.8i V6 XR4x4 (upto 1989)
2.9i V6 XR4x4 (1989 to 1993)
2.9i GLS 4x4 (1989 only)
Sierra Cosworth
Sapphire Cosworth
4x4 Sapphire Cosworth

All above "disk" sierras are solid rear except the Sapphire 4x4 cosworth, which had vented rear disks

LSD sierras as follows

XR4x4 2.8i V6 (upto 1989) (7.0" ) (3.62:1)
XR4x4 2.9i V6 (1989 to 1993) (7.0" ) (3.62:1)
XR4x4 2.0i DOHC (1990 to 1993) (7.0" ) (3.92:1)
Sierra Cosworth (7.5" )
Sapphire Cosworth (7.5" )
Sapphire Cosworth 4x4 (7.0" ) (3.62:1)

Also, ford gave the option for the 2.0i DOHC GLS to be fitted with an LSD (3.92:1), however, this option was rarely taken up.

thems off the top of my head, don't think i have missed much

Also, these are for UK cars, there were various flavours of engines and gearboxes in europe that the UK didnt get.

[Edited on 11/1/04 by Graceland]

kingr

posted on 12/1/04 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
The F reg Sierra 1.8 (CVH) with ABS that I bought had rear disks, as Ned will testify (he has the rear sub assy now).

Kingr

mackie

posted on 12/1/04 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Graceland, I think you only missed out one, and that was the Ghia 4x4, basically an XR4x4 Estate and pretty much top of the range apart from the Cossie. Cost 20k new apparently

But then again but ST220 costs more than that, damn sight better though. Actually it's probably cheaper when you consider inflation.

Graceland

posted on 12/1/04 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
yup, the ghia estate used exactly the same drivetrain as the XR4x4 and came in all 3 engine flavours - 2.0, 2.8, 2.9

there is also the sapphire 4x4 ghia - the only 4x4 sapphire that wasn't cosworth but this only used the 2.0 dohc lump

Doc

posted on 18/1/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
With the 4x4's which use the MT75 box is the transfer box easily removable?
James

posted on 19/1/04 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc
With the 4x4's which use the MT75 box is the transfer box easily removable?

It's in the middle of the gearbox- it's not really removable.

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.