Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: exhaust wrap or not?
myeates

posted on 20/5/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
exhaust wrap or not?

hi just about to buy some exhaust wrap to cover a few corners on exhaust so i buy enough, is it better to wrap the manifold under the bonnet to keep heat down than to leave it not wrapped? its a 1.3 xflow with four branch manifold

thanks in advance

mark

Volvorsport

posted on 20/5/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
yes , wrap in the engine bay , especilly if you have grp panels , not that thats a problem .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

cryoman1965

posted on 20/5/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
As above!
nitram38

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Another option is ceramic coating.

02GF74

posted on 21/5/08 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
i have same engine, well same capacity and make with aluminiuim bonnet and side panels and have no wrapping,

I have louvre (from B&Q) in bonet above the exhaust for ventilation and an aluminum plate about 10 mm below the louvres - to deflect heat and the bonnet does not get hot enough so you cannot keep you hand on it.

I think what I am trying to say is why do you feel you need to use exhaust wrap?

myeates

posted on 21/5/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
hi just a bit worried that the under bonnet will get very hot near battery and wire etc, it has got lots of vent holws around the wishbones but got bit too hot to touch the bonnet for any length of time when sat stationary running this weekend but then dont plan to sit in traffic too long what do you think is best?
02GF74

posted on 21/5/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myeates
but got bit too hot to touch the bonnet for any length of time when sat stationary running this weekend but then dont plan to sit in traffic too long what do you think is best?

unfortunatley you have no control overthe traffic around you so you can expect t hat you will be stationary for a long time.

sounds like the bonnet is too hot so put some wrap on - it is not major expense; if it helps, then leave it on.

beware that the wrap will trap moisture so will cuase a mild steel exhuast to rust quicker.

you don't put wrap on cast iron mainfolds.

myeates

posted on 21/5/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
ok thanks for your help its a stainless exhaust so water shouldnt be that much of an issue

thanks very much will get some bought

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.