Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Running Methanol
russbost

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Running Methanol

I believe someone mentioned recently that you can buy methanol for around £80 for 205 litres, is this correct & if so where from?

Next, if you have an approx 6 litre old design of fuel injected engine (mechnical injection), was originally made to run on leaded fuel, has about 6:1 compression ratio, OHC with hemispherical crossflow combustion chambers & sodium cooled exhaust valves, will it run satisfactorily on methanol? I know very little about methanol, other than I believe it delivers more power, but will use more fuel as it contains less energy per unit volume, would you therefore need to inject more per cycle? Can you mix methanol with petrol, or can you add a lead additive to protect the valves as you would do if using unleaded fuel - it would be an expensive engine to damage so it's pretty important not to get this wrong!
What knowledge do we collectively have on this???

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Was covered about 3 months back Methanol is very corrosive (not to mention poisonous), Ethanol less so.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

carlknight1982

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
a friend of mine got seriously hurt when his motor backfired thru the carbs on meth, be careful with it
twybrow

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
From a quick google search:
Useful forum thread with discussion on timing/afr etc
Another useful page

hellbent345

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
as above methanol is very corrosive on almost everything in the engine, not recommended unless you are prepared to change seals etc takes a lot of work to get an engine to run on pure methanol, but most engines will run fairly happily on a % mix of ethanol and petrol, i think the max is 15% ethanol in petrol before you have to start thinking about changing seal materials etc
paulf

posted on 21/5/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Methanol needs about twice as much fuel to air as petrol and as said is corrosive to alloys and also rubber but i think this is possible to overcome.You can run much higher compression ratios with it though and would gain some economy back by upping the compression ratio.
It is available on Ebay as an additive for making bio diesel but is sold on the basis that it is used for bio diesel production and not as a fuel on its own due to tax issues.You just need to convince them you are making bio diesel , maybe worth collecting it and paying cash to be on the safe side.
E85 is ethanol and 15% petrol but costs as much as petrol even though the tax paid on it is much less.
Paul.

tks

posted on 21/5/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
its more powerfull because it burns much faster as petrol.

also you add more methanol to the same amount of air.

wiki is your friend...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Hammerhead

posted on 22/5/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
There is an article in this weeks autocar about the lotus exige that runs on petrol or methanol. They claim that only modest modifications were needed and mostly to the ecu. Oh and it puts out 266 bhp on the toyota 1.8 engine

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.