Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: clutch spring
adam1985

posted on 24/5/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
clutch spring

have been told that i need another clutch spring in the bec so went down to the local bike parts suppliers and asked them for one and explained what its for just to get a confused look back is there any where i can get one from on net or is there a specific thing i should be asking for its for a 06 r1 5vy
The Great Fandango

posted on 24/5/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Adam,

What is the problem with your clutch in order for you to be recommended a spring?

Have you taken the clutch cover off to see what setup you have because from what I've seen most of the R1 family have a set of 6 springs as opposed to 1 spring plus diaphragm.

I'm no BEC expert, but learnt a few valuable clutch lessons in my first few months of BEC ownership.

Most of the BEC crowd uprate the standard springs to something like a set of Barnett racing springs. They're not expensive at around £17 for the set and seem to keep the friction plates held a little bit tighter together. This results in a tighter feel of the pedal and less probability of the clutch slipping whilst flooring the throttle.

[Edited on 24/5/08 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

adam1985

posted on 24/5/08 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
no havent taken the clutch cover of was just told on here that i need a extra clutch spring think its to do with there being more weight in the bec then bike
adam1985

posted on 24/5/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
ps not even got the engine mounted yet just want to do everything to it first have already put sump baffle in and got new oil and filter ready go on just this spring but if its not needed then brill
The Great Fandango

posted on 24/5/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Is this your first BEC?

If so and I were in your shoes I might whip the clutch cover off to have a wee look. It's really interesting to see how it works and you'll get a good feel for what springs you're referring to.

R1 Clutch
R1 Clutch

This image above shows the six springs although I hear that some only have one spring.

You may find this Fluke Motorsport Technical Guide of interest.

By the way, the clutch cover gasket often breaks when you take the cover off (they become brittle over time) but they're only about a fiver or so to replace.

[Edited on 24/5/08 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

adam1985

posted on 24/5/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
yeah is my first kit car never mind bec will have to pull the cover of then to see whats beneath
mad-butcher

posted on 24/5/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think I remember reading some people recommend 2 diaphram springs in the R1 family to help with the clutch slip issue
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoaoCaldeira

posted on 24/5/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
My 2003 R1 uses diaphragm, not springs; I fit a second one on the top of the existing one. Cheap and pratical.

Remember which bolts belong to wich hole as, IIRC, they are different sizes.
Also be ready to buy a new gasket if the original one gets destroyed.

Cheers,
Joao

Peteff

posted on 24/5/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoaoCaldeira
My 2003 R1 uses diaphragm, not springs; I fit a second one on the top of the existing one. Cheap and pratical.

Remember which bolts belong to wich hole as, IIRC, they are different sizes.
Also be ready to buy a new gasket if the original one gets destroyed.

Cheers,
Joao

Grease the faces on the crank case lightly before you fit the gasket and it should come of without damaging it next time.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/5/08 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
As Chris says the later engines come with 6 conventional springs, I think the 2002 / 2003 5PW engine was the last to use the single diaphragm spring, but you can convert those to 6 springs using a Barnett spring clutch conversion kit.

adam1985

posted on 25/5/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
so if mine already has the 6 clutch springs as standard does this mean they are ok or are these pdq ones uprated and needed
mad-butcher

posted on 25/5/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
my 4xv has 6 springs and a diaphram spring as per manual
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.