Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Bay cover of perforated aluminum?
sgraber

posted on 26/5/08 at 04:48 AM Reply With Quote
Engine Bay cover of perforated aluminum?

Can you please give me some opinion about this engine cover. It's cosmetic and weighs just over 1kg. Not quite completed as evidenced by the blue tape but far enough along to give a good idea.

It does go on and off quite easily.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 26/5/08 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve

Not to be a killjoy, but I think it will look grubby very quickly, and be a bugger to clean.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

TimC

posted on 26/5/08 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve

I really don't think it's in keeping with the excellent standard of the rest of the car.
Sorry!

Edit because I can't type this morning!

[Edited on 26/5/08 by TimC]

worX

posted on 26/5/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

Sorry to add to the negativity, but I don't think it looks as good as the rest of your car.

You could finish it and get it powdercoated back and it would look better but not 100% sure...

ATB (and sorry )
Steve

Richard Quinn

posted on 26/5/08 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I take it that this goes underneath the engine cover and is only a "dress up" bit? I think if it was powdercoated black or yellow it would look better.
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/5/08 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
These days the trend seems to be towards larger stamped holes. Not quite sure of the purpose of this as you haven’t included a picture with the back panel in place, so can’t tell how much is visible normally. The others are right in that it will get dirty very quickly plus it will dull and oxidise in no time. Is this to stop grumpy snakes getting in to the engine bay? Why else would you want to hide all that lovely workmanship…

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NeilP

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
A larger mesh and powder coated / chromed would look sweet...

EDIT: The car is just fab btw...

[Edited on 26/5/2008 by NeilP]

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

blakep82

posted on 26/5/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
i think it would end up stretched/dented very quickly. i don't like it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Fred W B

posted on 26/5/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Another point - If you have to remove it to check oil, coolant level etc, someone is bound to step on it when it is on the ground.

I'm not keen on parts that don't actually do anything.

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

sgraber

posted on 26/5/08 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm definitely not too happy with the cover either. BUt how do you know if you're going to like something unless you give it a whirl? I have decided to remove it and make a few smaller covers around the perimeter of the engine bay. I'll post up some photos later on that for peer review.

Thanks guys. I just needed my head slapped with an oily rag to see the way. LOL

G.

Steve Graber

blakep82

posted on 26/5/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
if you were feeling frisky (?) or something... carbon fibre (or at least fibre glass) would look nicer.

or maybe polycarbonate

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ivan

posted on 26/5/08 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I understand why you want a cover at all - is there something you're trying to hide? If so why not just chrome the thing you're hiding

sgraber

posted on 26/5/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Not sure I understand why you want a cover at all - is there something you're trying to hide? If so why not just chrome the thing you're hiding

Why yes. Us Americans are strangely puritanical when it comes to covering up the bits. Especially the ones that move in and out and that might jiggle when jounced.

Seriously. It was just an idea to 'modernize' the engine bay. Have you seen a modern engine bay of late? It's hard to tell theres an engine at all under all the covers! And trust me the EUROPEAN cars do those covers better than everyone else!

Steve Graber

sgraber

posted on 27/5/08 at 03:42 AM Reply With Quote
I changed the layout of the cover slightly.

Steve Graber

Delinquent

posted on 30/5/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

Why yes. Us Americans are strangely puritanical when it comes to covering up the bits. Especially the ones that move in and out and that might jiggle when jounced.

Seriously. It was just an idea to 'modernize' the engine bay. Have you seen a modern engine bay of late? It's hard to tell theres an engine at all under all the covers! And trust me the EUROPEAN cars do those covers better than everyone else!

I think this has got to be one of the most annoying trends in the motor industry at the moment - if you lift the bonnet of my Audi, you are greeted by.... a large flat piece of plastic. Kind of like the bonnet, only slightly grubby and less polished, sat a couple of inches further down.

I wanna see engines, polished intertwined manifolds, cleverly designed linkages and a cacophony of parts all sat in position, waiting to do their job

iank

posted on 30/5/08 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think they claim the plastic covers are for sound deadening.
But mostly to intimidate people into not trying to fix their own car IMO.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Delinquent

posted on 30/5/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I think they claim the plastic covers are for sound deadening.
But mostly to intimidate people into not trying to fix their own car IMO.

you sure the claim wasn't "soul deadening" - that I could believe.

D Beddows

posted on 30/5/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Have to say that I really like the american 'hot rod' style clean look to the engine bay with the minimum of ugly wiring, coolant pipes etc etc on show and just a proper engine sat there ticking away cooling down after a decent drive .... so I see where you're going I think - but that's not the answer....
skydivepaul

posted on 31/5/08 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
I agree I dont get any pleasure from opening a bonnet (hood) on a modern car and being greeted with a large plastic cover with a badge on it.

give me chromed ram pipes, aeroquip braided hoses and anodised ali fittings anyday.

If you've got it flaunt it

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

tadltd

posted on 9/6/08 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Engine covers have more to do with pedestrian impact protection than cosmetics and NVH.

Euro N-Cap rules are getting stricter on where 'hard' bits are placed and how far they are from the underside of the bonnet in order to minimise pedestrian injury in low-speed impacts. Big bits of flat plastic help in this respect.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

sgraber

posted on 11/6/08 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
makes perfect sense. Thanks for the opinions gentlemen. I've definitely reconsidered the need for a full cover. Just trying something different you realize...

That reminds me of the saying: "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and most of them stink."

Steve Graber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.