Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: NEW KIT car FAN
willgal

posted on 27/5/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
NEW KIT car FAN

Hi everyone
I Just bought my first kit car a mk indy blade (919). I,m taking it on my first trackday this weekend at aintree. hope it doesn't rain.Looking through the forum everyone seems to know there stuff. unfornatley i don't. I,m looking to have a few more like guages and stuff on it which it is missing like fuel guage, gear indicater etc which might help me abit more. I have only really done the basic on my other car (integra type r dc2) like blake discs pads, filter etc. so i might be needing help as i have not built this indy myself. oh yes does anyone know what bhp my 919cc engine produces i'm not sure. thanks for any advise. much appreciated.

eznfrank

posted on 27/5/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I believe there 130 bhp although someone else more knowledgable will likely correct me soon enough.

In terms of the other bits, I wouldn't bother, sounds like too much extra weight to me

willgal

posted on 27/5/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
ye i suppose your right. i think i,ll defo get a fuel guage tho. If i had the money i think i would like to get a hayabusa engine in it in the future. they must just be crazy to drive
worX

posted on 27/5/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Will,

Welcome to the forum.

Your Blade engine will produce something in the region of 120 - 140 bhp.

Even though you have not built your car it doesn't mean that you can't do the work on it yourself, you'll just be learning when you do it, and with this forum a few clicks away you can usually solve any probs you may encounter in a matter of minutes!

With regard to the extra gauges - Yes it would be nice to have a fuel gauge, but I don't have one and have never run out of fuel. You will probably have a 25-27 litre tank and will do between 15 - 30 mpg depending on whether you are full throttle all day (trackday) or just nailing it about and a bit of a journey. So with some simple maths you can work out roughly what fuel's in your tank.

The gear inicator would be a plus, but you don't need one. You don't really need one on track as you soon realise what's right and wrong for which corner. You can get a gear indicator from ebay for around the £60 mark (upto £100) and then just wire it in as per the destructions.

Enjoy your trackday.
Gain knowledge of your car by doing a nut/bolt check on it before you go.
Things like checking you don't have brake fluid leaking out of any of the joins etc.
Jack the car up (safely) and check your suspension nuts/bolts - you prob have about 32 - 40 on the back end that you can check, and while you're there you can also check what settings your dampers are on.

HTH
Steve

Dangle_kt

posted on 27/5/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Welcome!

Nice car, let us know how aintree is, I have plans to go to their next track day (dont panic steve it's in oct! )

Good advise about a nut and bolt check - sounds boring, but it could be the difference between a great day and a very bad one!

wilkingj

posted on 27/5/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Yup... Welcome to the NutHouse

We are a friendly bunch really, and helpful too.

Have fun, and take it easy for a while whilst you are "learning" your car. You dont want tit to bite you in the ass and cost you money.

As its your first kit car, it will drive VERY differently from a road car, and an awful lot of fun as well.

Just take it easy for a bit untill you have worked out your limits and those of the car as well.

Above all have some fun, (but safely)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jubal

posted on 27/5/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Hi,

Welcome!

Nice car, let us know how aintree is, I have plans to go to their next track day (dont panic steve it's in oct! )

Good advise about a nut and bolt check - sounds boring, but it could be the difference between a great day and a very bad one!

It's a serious point. I bought a s/h Indy and have had a few issues over the years. Lock nut on rear wishbones, nuts holding bottom front wishbone to front upright, all driveshaft bolts on one side coming loose. All were spotted before it was too late but it was a close call at times.

willgal

posted on 27/5/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ye i will take my time on saturday, aintree is a okay track just ideal cos i live only 5 mins away from it. very fast circuit tho my standard integra nearly reaches 130mph on the back straight. more ideal for the grunty cars really. nice and cheap tho at 110 pounds. my favourite is cadwell, it should be perfect for any kit car
welderman

posted on 27/5/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
where you based mate, good luck with you track day.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Dangle_kt

posted on 27/5/08 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Another merseysider?

I hail from Ormskirk, but live in Liverpool now. Mine will also be a fireblade kit car (but a live axle locost) so when mine is done we should go for a blast!

[Edited on 27/5/08 by Dangle_kt]

Jon Ison

posted on 27/5/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the obvious oil pressure & temp gauges I find the most useful in a BEC a good shift light, they can rev up that quick its easy to hit the limiter, I have a gear display built into the digi dash, its bling, never look at it. I drive on the shift lights (on track) there sequential, start at 9k and flash like **** at 11900k if at least one isn't lit on track I'm in the wrong gear...........

Oh, welcome BTW.

Re reading your post if you are looking for more "gauges" then i would/can recommend the digi dash, one big plus is once set up (you set the warnings) something such as low oil pressure cannot be missed, if hicost pulls his finger out you may catch on video from Mallory "OIL" in big **** off letters flashing in my face going around Gerrard's, I had forgot to switch on the accusump, would have missed it on a gauge not with a digi dash set up, you cant unless your blind. Doubt I would have noticed it on a gauge ?

willgal

posted on 27/5/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
ye no problem. You should nip to aintree on the saturday for a nosey, you won,t miss my mk indy blade its sky blue plastered with stickers from the previous owner and will be parked up next to a white integra
asl

posted on 27/5/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all. I'm another virgin based in surrey who just bought an Indyblade. I've been silently lurking round these forums for the last month trying to gleam as much info from you gurus as possible!!

Like willgal i didn't build my car but i'm now urging to tinker and improve it. My first step was a quickrack but now I'm debating the pros and cons of an LSD and rear disc brakes, any thoughts anyone?

This is a fantastic forum with absolutely loads of knowledge around I just apologise now if i pop up now and again and ask really stupid questions!

i hope to get up to bruntithorpe this weekend. See ya round. Nath

charlierevell

posted on 28/5/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Does the dash have a low fuel light at all?
Mines wired that when, when i bought it a fuel gauge was on my must have list. But actually now i know i can do 100miles before the light comes on I'm happy. We reckon theres about another 40 miles in the tank when that comes on to find fuel, but to be honest I rarely do over 100miles without a fill up! (About 16-18l)

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

Jubal

posted on 28/5/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl
Like willgal i didn't build my car but i'm now urging to tinker and improve it. My first step was a quickrack but now I'm debating the pros and cons of an LSD and rear disc brakes, any thoughts anyone?

I went that route too. I'm not sure I see the benefit on a dry track as there's oodles of grip from track rubber. IIRC the conversion needs hubs, carriers, driveshafts and new uprights from MK. As well as the brake bits.

I never fitted a quick rack but it's on my list.

JUD

posted on 1/6/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl
Hi all. I'm another virgin based in surrey who just bought an Indyblade. I've been silently lurking round these forums for the last month trying to gleam as much info from you gurus as possible!!

This is a fantastic forum with absolutely loads of knowledge around I just apologise now if i pop up now and again and ask really stupid questions!

i hope to get up to bruntithorpe this weekend. See ya round. Nath

I guess you must be the Nathan that I took round Brunters this weekend.

You tell me - do you need an LSD and rear brakes?

Your car spec sounds exactly like mine which goes OK

I am changing my rack just so I can catch things a little earlier. Everything else can wait. The car has more far more capability than me at the moment - so for I will stick with learning.

I would say do the rack, sort your clutch connection and get your gear linkage sorted. Get the geometry set up and then take it on the track. Airfields like Bruntingthorpe are great as there is little to hit - plus the Big Thunder days are pretty well run and don't seem to attract many kn0bs.

If you go to the same place a few times it lets you set the car up and generally build confidence.

I'll be likely to be along to the next one at Brunters - maybe you can bring yours along and we can compare notes!

Cheers

Martin

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

asl

posted on 2/6/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Martin, yep that was me, thanks again it was awesome!!!

You are spot on, judging by how yours went and the fact that my driving ability is nowhere near you I'm going to stick with the current set up until my ability warrants it!

Just waiting to get the rack back and i will definately be at brunters next time. Just going to email MK pictures of my gear linkage and hopefully get that sorted as well!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.